Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it recomended to work your way upstream or downstream when using an indicator rig when salmon fishing? Also, what would be a the amount of weight to use if i am using a chuck and duck rig? (i.e. if i was fishing the betsie river)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
363 Posts
There is really no right or wrong (well there are wrong ways) but I personally fish from above and let the rig drift down. I feel I have better control of the line plus I dont have to deal with as many varying currents. I let my line drift right down the seams.

Ohhh, are you asking how to fish the run, or are you asking how to approach it?

As far as C&D weight, it all depends on the run or pool you're fishing and what depth the stinkies are sitting at. I usually try to bounce bottom and decrease the weight as I need to.

·
Registered
364 Posts
With indy fishing alot depends on where the fish are at in the pool, a good way to approah it is start at the head of the pool, fish down stream, work all sections. Take 5 steps downstream and repeat. Make sure you are getting a drag free drift, and your indy is floating straight up and down. As for C&D, go with what dhise said.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great Thank you.

i have never chuck and ducked before, so i just wanted to make sure i was doing it correctly.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Chuck-n-duck and indicator fishing are mutually exclusive. Don't tell be the MI fly fishing community has now had an epiphany to run a slinky under a bobber and call this fishing. My favorite was hearing about a guy fishing chuck-n-duck with a spey rod. Geeze, what gives?

·
Registered
221 Posts
For a good explanation of how to rig, approach, and fish for salmon using either a CND or Indi rig, read Steve Fraley's explanation on the subject. It is on the main page of www.FishBALDWIN.com, the BBT website.

Good luck,
Chip

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i kind of agree. CND doesnt "feel" like fly fishing. i prefer stripping streamers which i did today on the betsie, for about 7 hours with only two hook-ups, and then read a report of 20 or 30 hook ups with indicators and/or CND, it certainly has its place, especially if you are shelling out $300 bucks+ for a guide, and this might be your only fishing trip of the year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts