Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone done a diy public land turkey hunt on indiana?

It seems like you need to apply for public land tags and you get 2 or 3 days to hunt if you win the drawing. Is this the correct interpretation or are the public land areas open to all for the entire season?

Also, it says some require non toxic shot but I can't find a list of which wma have this requirement. Is there a list somewhere?

I was hoping to get a tag and have all season to hunt but it doesn't seem possible. I can be in indiana in 40 minutes, so I was gonna treat it the same as I do michigan where it would be more spur of the moment.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Never been but have definitely considered it. If you go let me know how the hunt is. This year I’m looking to hunt Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri and Michigan. May hit Wisconsin and Ohio depending on time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I looked into it a few years ago and it seemed very complicated and risky for a non resident. I ended up picking up a piece of private property in northern Indiana to hunt and have been successful with it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to the indiana DNR/fisheries and wildlife department. They only list the drawing hunt properties. Other properties are open all seasons with no draw. Some are open for a week with no drawing and some are closed. Hosiery national forest and several of the state forest are open all season.

They recommend calling the properties you want to hunt. It's confusing but I may give it a shot if I have time.

The nice thing is you can buy a license online line and hunt immediately.

I am also considering Ohio. It is way less confusing and the same distance to hunt.

Unfortunately, the turkeys seem to be in the south of both states and so are the bigger public tracts. So it 4 hrs to get to those.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I just gained permission to hunt some private land in Indiana, going to spend a couple days there during my return trip from Missouri and Kansas. Hopefully there’s some birds on the property!

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm kinda jealous of you guys that live close to borders and can jump around easy to extend your season. Sitting here in the Northern Lower looking at snow thinking about how sweet that would be.

Part of me wants to toss my name in the hat for one of the May draws in Indiana and just see what happens. Wouldn't be too bad to take a few days off and go down there.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Alright, is this correct for Indiana? Do you really have to purchase the Turkey tag before you can register for the draw? If so...that seems really dumb. I can understand the reasons why they would do that. But still...I'm not too hip on buying tags before I even know if I can get a chance to hunt down there.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I looked into it a few years ago and it seemed very complicated and risky for a non resident. I ended up picking up a piece of private property in northern Indiana to hunt and have been successful with it.
Same here. I looked into it a few years ago and came to the same conclusion. Illinois regs looked more friendly for out-of-state NR hunters.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Has anyone done a diy public land turkey hunt on indiana?

It seems like you need to apply for public land tags and you get 2 or 3 days to hunt if you win the drawing. Is this the correct interpretation or are the public land areas open to all for the entire season?

Also, it says some require non toxic shot but I can't find a list of which wma have this requirement. Is there a list somewhere?

I was hoping to get a tag and have all season to hunt but it doesn't seem possible. I can be in indiana in 40 minutes, so I was gonna treat it the same as I do michigan where it would be more spur of the moment.

Huh!! I should've came here first to read your post before spending the last hour trying to figure things out. Great teammates think alike! lol
I was seriously considering making the trip BUT I don't think it is going to work out. It is nice though to possibly have this in the back pocket in the event I am bored some weekend next month.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, is this correct for Indiana? Do you really have to purchase the Turkey tag before you can register for the draw? If so...that seems really dumb. I can understand the reasons why they would do that. But still...I'm not too hip on buying tags before I even know if I can get a chance to hunt down there.
You buy a license that is good for private and public. Certain wma have drawings to hunt in that wma. Some public land is open with just the license you bought. It is confusing. There is a list of wma that have draws. Others don't but may not allow turkey hunting. You basically have to call the wma. Hoosier natl forest is open.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huh!! I should've came here first to read your post before spending the last hour trying to figure things out. Great teammates think alike! lol
I was seriously considering making the trip BUT I don't think it is going to work out. It is nice though to possibly have this in the back pocket in the event I am bored some weekend next month.
Yeah I am not sure I will go but wanted to have some idea b4 hand and not try to figure it out last minute.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

1 - 13 of 12 Posts