Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
39,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I'd go till up the rest of the yard but grandma probably wouldn't care for that lol.

When I had a more resilient back, I'd walk the farm fields for hours looking for arrowheads. I found what looks like a mortar for grinding stuff, and a half arrowhead. Never the quantity found in a small area like Gramps found.

My brother and I split them up equally between quality and quantity. Pretty neat stuff. Before my grandma gave them to my brother and I, I think the last time I had seem them was when I was less than 10 yrs old.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Finding them is and can be a task,Grampa had good eyes.Have a cousin in Mo.that donated 7,000 pieces to university of Mo. according to my brother that visited him 4 years ago. My youngest son has found a few in stream beds in SW Tennessee. I once looked with him and only found broken pieces...

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I have a handful I got from my Dad, He found them over a long time never two in the same area. I remember the first house we purchased my Dad was standing in the drive way looked down and pickup one up, I never saw it, kind of like looking for mushrooms he could spot them 30 yards away I could be stand next to one and never see it.

·
Banned
3,249 Posts
I worked with a guy who went around looking for old artifacts like these. He had coffee cans of arrow heads and stone tools and some cool old British military buttons he found. He said when you drive by certain areas he would look for a depression in the ground which would be somewhere they would camp. I dont really understand what it was he would look for and I thought he was full of shyte until he brought his coffee cans in to show me. He said to me, some guys play video games and watch TV, I like going around finding this stuff. I never got the chance to out searching with him unfortunately. One local museum tried guilting him into donating his findings when he was trying to get some information about the buttons and he laughed at them and walked out.

·
39,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I worked with a guy who went around looking for old artifacts like these. He had coffee cans of arrow heads and stone tools and some cool old British military buttons he found. He said when you drive by certain areas he would look for a depression in the ground which would be somewhere they would camp. I dont really understand what it was he would look for and I thought he was full of shyte until he brought his coffee cans in to show me. He said to me, some guys play video games and watch TV, I like going around finding this stuff. I never got the chance to out searching with him unfortunately. One local museum tried guilting him into donating his findings when he was trying to get some information about the buttons and he laughed at them and walked out.
Damn. If this were my hobby I'd be hunched over like Grandpa Simpson.

It sounds like that guy knew how to read the surroundings. Like a trapper, in a way.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
A buddy grew up across the street from were a old Indian camp was located. A top of a hill over looking a river valley. He has a nice collection, he would head over there as soon as they quit plowing. Another guys grandfather had land next to the Black River one mile from the former mentioned. Now that collection was about 800 pieces found as soon as the ground was worked. I was walking a harvested field of a centennial farm. I look down coming back from hunting and here was a perfect Arrow Head on top of the ground, I gave it to the owner. So that field was plowed at least for 120 years. There is a place near my property that would be a perfect river camp, I metal detected it but did not find anything, probable buried to deep.

·
39,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, he would put in a ton of man hours without finding anything, staring at dirt for hours doesn't sound very inviting. I would do it until I found one then move onto a new hobby.
I used to do it when I was a kid.

I was rock picking with my cousin one day and he found a fossil of what appeared to be the paw of some kind of critter, wrapped around a stick. Coolest thing we found BY FAR. He took it to school for show and tell, never to be seen again.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Damn. If this were my hobby I'd be hunched over like Grandpa Simpson.

It sounds like that guy knew how to read the surroundings. Like a trapper, in a way.
I am becoming hunched over like Grandpa Simpson. From leaning over fenders working on cars for 30years

Hmm new hobby? Would be handy lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts