Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Independence has around 4" of ice. Several people were out today fishing. I hoped to get out there today, but just didn't happen...

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Every now and then. There are some nice size gills in there. Seems like to be successful there you really have to work at it and do a lot of hole hopping. It's rare to just find one honey hole and just sit there for a couple hours pulling em in.

People also claim there are monster specs there, but alas, the park gates close at dusk, and I have no night time access...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Johnny,

Much like Rich's report, Ford Lake has very few fisherman. I hoped to fish today, but after a "drive-by" and seeing how few fisherman there were, and how few holes there were in those five-plus-inches of ice, I'm certain there's nothing going on (and, as you may know from previous Ford Lake experiences, "Something going on," probably means three to five keeper perch). It's been really slow.

Ford Lake has been less productive each of the five years I've fish there (I have a strong suspicion it has something to do with the Ann Arbor Water Treatment plant's admission of several rain/flood - related discharges and subsequent Huron River/Ford Lake/related water body fish kills). I witnessed hundred of dead white bass, white perch and bluegills floating in the lake after one such episode.

An Eastern Michigan Biologist and administrator (and a friend of mine) told me that only sewage discharges greater than a certain gallon or effluent amount must be reported, but he's convinced, based on his studies and experiences, that the cumulative effect of small releases of effluent have a greater impact on the aquaculture than state and federal authorities are ready to acknowledge.

His studies indicate that Ford Lake (like Lake Erie and the Gulf of Mexico) has a significant "dead zone," where the disolved oxygen levels are too low to support the zoo plankton and other organisms that are required to support fish.

But enough about that -- geez, Louise!! -- the short answer is, "nothing doing on Ford Lake."

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Independance lake is my favorite lake for pike. Every time we go there we get quite a few fish. As for gills the big ones are there. Early ice is the best for them. Straight out from the launch is where we go. Cant get any more particular than that.

Steve

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i fished ford lake today at fordlake park out from the launch - 15 fow - got set up about 10:30 within five minutes i caught a nice 11" perch - then the rest of the day nothing but small silver bass

1 - 7 of 7 Posts