Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
35,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4-6 inches of good ice with more white ice and snow on top. Moved a few times, saw lots of fish including a few very nice gills and a huge pike, but the fish were very sluggish on the bite. Took home a few gills.

The maiden voyage of my new shanty.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Had the same results on Sunday(morning), gona hit it first thing in the morning.(Thurs.Fri.Sat)(Hopefully) Looks like you had lots of room, did you make it out past all the reeds? With this cold spell, sounds like, and it should have, the ice has gotten thicker and tighten up pretty good over the last couple of days.

·
Administrator
35,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't go past the reeds since it didn't look like anybody had been fishing there and I didn't know if the fish were out in that section. Judging by the ice I think you could fish past the reeds.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
I drove by there on my way to work this morning and saw that shanty out there, I was wondering if it was you since you mentioned you might go. Looked like you had the whole lake to yourself. Sorry to hear the fish weren't biting a little better, they were probably hiding from that big pike. :)

I also noticed something strange. On Sunday there were 2 permanent shanties out there and today it looked like only one. Very weird, maybe someone quickly got fed up with that lake. Usually when you put out a permanent you have a greater attention span. :)

·
Administrator
35,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep that was me and there was only one permanent shanty out there. Every time that pike came by (and it happened at least 3 times) the gill fishing turned off for a while :yikes:

·
Registered
284 Posts
I dont think permanent shanties are allowed to be set and left over night until January 1st and must be removed February 28th. Give that guy a heads up if you see him!!!! Are there many decent pike in that lake?

·
Administrator
35,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know how many, but there was quite a decent one under my shanty yesterday scaring away the pan fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts