Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...the only thing I read are positive reviews, no matter where I go. From users to professionals, it seems like everyone wants to sell you the bow you're reading about. If you have any suggestions on how I can get through all the nicey-nicey talk in all the reviews, I'm open.

I've come to the following conclusions:
1. everyone loves their bow, that's why they bought it or are trying to sell it.
2. Brand doesn't mean as much as price point in so much as they all make a good bow, just depends on how much you want to spend.
3. People use terms I know nothing about...
4. When buying a bow, you just have to get out and shoot as many as you can and find the one that fits your body and your shooting style the best.

I did some basic searching on here and didn't find much, so if you can point me to a thread that can walk me through what to be wary of? Also, can you tell me what the heck the valley is? What is 'the back'? What makes a riser more foregiving and why are some 6 inches, and some 7+?

Lastly, if you want to brag about your bow in the $499-$599 bare bow range, please do, and I'll add it to my list for consideration. Currently wanting to get out and shoot the PSE Vendetta, and Brute, and the Hoyt Rampage XT.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
...the only thing I read are positive reviews, no matter where I go. From users to professionals, it seems like everyone wants to sell you the bow you're reading about. If you have any suggestions on how I can get through all the nicey-nicey talk in all the reviews, I'm open.

I've come to the following conclusions:
1. everyone loves their bow, that's why they bought it or are trying to sell it.
2. Brand doesn't mean as much as price point in so much as they all make a good bow, just depends on how much you want to spend.
3. People use terms I know nothing about...
4. When buying a bow, you just have to get out and shoot as many as you can and find the one that fits your body and your shooting style the best.

I did some basic searching on here and didn't find much, so if you can point me to a thread that can walk me through what to be wary of? Also, can you tell me what the heck the valley is?The valley is the sweet spot in the draw cycle of the bow just before you reach anchor. On todays bows you have very little room for creeping forward and must use back tension to hold a full draw, some vallies are longer and shorter on different bows What is 'the back'?The back wall is the end of your draw cycle in years past you could over draw the bow so you had no real hard stop at the end of your draw. Todays bows have either a cable or limb stop and let me tell you you won't be drawing past that, it makes you more consistantWhat makes a riser more foregiving and why are some 6 inches, and some 7+? Simple physics here the longer the arrow is on the string the more chance YOU have of affecting the shot. The longer the arrow is on the string the faster the bow usually is So, 28" draw 7" brace = 21" of power stroke now with a 6" brace you have 22" of PS given everything else as equal the 22" PS will be faster but also a little less forgiving of form errors. I'm a t work so thats the first installment I know there will be more to come.

Lastly, if you want to brag about your bow in the $499-$599 bare bow range, please do, and I'll add it to my list for consideration. Currently wanting to get out and shoot the PSE Vendetta, and Brute, and the Hoyt Rampage XT.
I did some basic searching on here and didn't find much, so if you can point me to a thread that can walk me through what to be wary of? Also, can you tell me what the heck the valley is?The valley is the sweet spot in the draw cycle of the bow just before you reach anchor. On todays bows you have very little room for creeping forward and must use back tension to hold a full draw, some valleys are longer and shorter on different bows What is 'the back'?The back wall is the end of your draw cycle in years past you could over draw the bow so you had no real hard stop at the end of your draw. Todays bows have either a cable of limb stop and let me tell you you won't be drawing past that, it makes you more consistantWhat makes a riser more foregiving and why are some 6 inches, and some 7+? Simple physics here the longer the arrow is on the string the more chance YOU have of affecting the shot. The longer the arrow is on the string the faster the bow usually is So, 28" draw 7" brace = 21" of power stroke now with a 6" brace you have 22" of PS given everything else as equal the 22" PS will be faster but also a little less forgiving of form errors. I'm a t work so thats the first installment I know there will be more to come.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
The 2012 PSE bows have faulty set screws in the cam. They back out and gouge your serving. I have one!! Your dealer have the correct replacement screw. That's the only Bad to PSE . I have friends that complain about Bowtech's finish being crap. Diamond outlaw is cool but has a very aggressive cam. I just went through all this myself. My last bow was 15y/o so Every bow felt better. It is just now where I get "letoff" axle to axle length and brace height. I personally not get a package bow . We bought 3 this last year and All the gear got swapped out and was crap.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
534 Posts
Bowtech has a new finish on their bows now, its rough and seems to be good to go. There are alot of good bows out there in your price range, I'd say head to your nearest archery shop(not a chain store like gander/bp) and let them know your price range. From there they can run you through more info and let you shoot as many bows as they have in stock. Hope it helps, I shoot a 2012 BowTech Insanity CPX and love it, would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
The Torrent from Quest (G5) is a very nice and smooth drawing bow. Fit and finish are top notch. No matter what we all may recommend you have to be comfortable with the bow and not force yourself to like it. Make sure your draw length is measured and set correctly, the #1 most important factor in shooting accurately with today's equipment.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone have experience - good or bad - with your bow manufacturer's customer service?

Does anyone shoot a Hoyt? I know lots of dudes with PSE, Mathews, Diamond but seems Hoyt is pretty rare

I'd love to shoot a Quest, but the only retailer I found is Cabelas. Last time there I was very disappointed in the guy helpin me, and I'd rather support the local small shop guy on this purchase. Not thrilled with GMntn service either.

Anyone have experience with Hicks in the Clio area?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Don't know much about the Clio area but you also have Bearfoot archery and Ed's. I have heard good things about both.

Hoyt is one of the most popular brands made. They make great bows.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I've been shooting on Hoyt bows for over 20 years and my friends and family all shoot Hoyt's as well. They've been dependable, rock solid performers over the years with absolutely zero mechanical trouble.

I ran an archery shop in the mid-1990s and dealt with their customer service and warranty departments regularly. Their service has always been top notch and their warranty dept. took care of issues quickly and without hassle.

One fall, my treestand rope broke sending my Hoyt Defiant bouncing through the branches below before crashing to the ground. The arrows struck either a branch or the ground squarely on the nocks sending two of the broadheads straight through the hood of the quiver. Though it was totally my fault I called Hoyt anyway. Hoyt sent me a new quiver no questions asked.

Hick's has always had a knowledgeable staff and good service. Consider Spot Shooter Archery in Holly as well.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Quest, it's worth the drive to shoot one and yes I've had to use the CS and it is fantastic. Shot Hoyt for years before and have no issues with them either. Bowtech/Diamond fine if you have a local dealer otherwise very hard to get a hold of but fair. Where are you located?

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Does anyone shoot a Hoyt? I know lots of dudes with PSE, Mathews, Diamond but seems Hoyt is pretty rare
Hey Sudz,

My girlfriend's bow is a Hoyt Vicxen, I enjoy shooting that more than my Mathews Z7.

If I were in the market for a new bow; I'd be looking at Hoyt, Mathews and Elite. With most of my looking done around the Elite lineup.

Are you a member of Archerytalk? Usually guys on there are pretty good about limiting smoke blowing. Plus it's a great place to pick up a bow on the cheap.

There are also a few guys on this forum (Kelly Johnson comes to mind) that are freaks about bows and know a ton more than I do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am very new to archery and bow hunting, so take my input as nothing more than a novice opinion.

I did a lot of research and you seem to be going through the same thing I did. I ended up with a Hoyt rampage xt. It was far from expensive, but put money into some nice accessories and you're experienced friends will be jealous.

I handled many bows multiple times before I made that choice. It was the first one that just felt flat out right in my hands. Go with your gut.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I am suprised you haven't heard more about Hoyt?

Not that you need another positive review, but mine will be my only archery weapon for years. It better be well built, solid, and accurate.

When I went through the same steps you are going through to determine what fit me best, here is what I found...

You are spot on with the 2. comment. No matter what manufacture of bow, you get what you pay for. Thats being blunt about it. If you are happy with a bow in the above price range, that will work for your needs great.

If you want more from your bow, ya gotta pay for it. Don't expect $1000 results from a $300 bow. I am not in any way putting down that bow, but its just that way. No different than buying a new caviler vs. a camero.

I shoot somewhere between a 30 1/2 to 31" draw length. Out of all the bows I shot, (Z7 included) Hoyt shot the best for me with the long draw length cams on the maxxis 35. Could not be happier with my bow. Good luck!

(trying out new suit with the maxxis, needed to add some cover to the bow- last fall)

·
Administrator
17,589 Posts
I think that most reputable bow manufacturers will provide you with a quality shooting bow these days. So in my mind it isn't a question of "quality". To me the question seems more to be "how do I decide"?

Very simply - look at bows within your price range. It you marvel at the craftsmanship, and if in your eyes it is a thing of beauty; you are half way home! Do her sexy lines entice you? Are you thinking to yourself, I would love to find out what she would be like? Does appearance alone cause you to drift off in a moment of fantasy?

Now, pick her up? How does she feel? Do you like the way she feels in your hand? If so, you need only one more critical step.

How is the performance during the ultimate test? Does the draw seem effortless and comfortable? Does he take you over the edge quickly, or does the subtlety carry you to to new heights making you believe, or even desire to hold forever? When you finally release - does she explode in timed elegance with you assuring that your shot hits the mark? At that point in time are you imagining repeating this process over and over? Can you imagine spending the rest of your life with this thing of beauty?

If so - look no further. :D
<----<<<

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Im with ya Joe, but I gotta say, its performance over looks everyday of the week for me!

It could look like a big paperclip with baler twine, but if it shot like a dream I would own it! :lol:

·
Registered
719 Posts
If you're southwest of Flint, check out Spot Shooter in Holly. They have a really nice (expanded) store and the guys there are very helpful. Another piece of advise is to try and go to the archery shops now in the summer when they are not as busy to get the most help. Come late summer before hunting season you won't get as much help no matter where you go...they just get too busy.

I wouldn't recommend the package deals either that you see at GM/BP/Cabelas because the sights/rests on those are usually not very high quality. I think that spending some extra money on a good quality sight and rest is very important. I'd bet that people have more mechanical problems with inferior sights & rests in the field than their bow (what do you guys think?)

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Bux, pretty much spot on. Now is the time to get your stuff done it gets stupid busy in the next two months! As far as accessories on most "adult" packages they are very serviceable. If you are a true beginner it takes some of the confusion (last time I checked there were 26 sight manufacturers out there) and allows them to get started then form their own opinions on what they need when it comes time to upgrade. The rest on the Quest Torrent package is a Trophy Taker and you get the G5 peep, Limbsaver damper, and a Cobra sight so not all that shabby. The Diamond line has decent accessories as well. Kids bows are another story.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts