Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a little bit of reading about these in line planer boards about a year ago and had a couple questions about how to run these from shore for kings and winter steelhead. i want to use plugs off these rigs, i already got some 8ft rods and some linecounter reels, the boards and more plugs than i care to admit. i want to start getting into it soon and im still having a helluva time trying to get some info on how to do it right.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
i will be using these on my noodle rods it is for lite weight and spawn or flies to hold it in the zone longer is how i am using it. any ways wish ya luck at it mite want to try these to there is a video on the site on how to use them. also check out that yellow bird site too.

http://www.swboards.com/

only problem i see is some jerk mite cut them off in a boat on the manistee river.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts

problem with yellow birds and church is they are expensive if some one cuts you off during the silly season with their boat your out 30-40 bucks that is if you are using the tx-44 etc.. boards for the river i am using the tx-6's and those side winders as long as your not pull tons of weight you can just use your noodle rods for salmon that's how i would do it but each their own. if you do go up to wally boards or the tx-44 use a bigger rod then the noodle rods like the kinda you find on your boats for salmon fishing. like in my video i put up they use a bead and a barrel swivel 6-8 foot up the line use that the same way with those churches. reason is so they do not come un hooked and nock the fish off. you can set it out 100 foot but it is not needed in the river you don't want to hit bottom. if pulling flat fish with it step up to a tx 33 or a wally board or similar. flat fish they pull and dig in fairly hard enough to sink a tx-6 and a tx-12 or the next size up what ever model number it is from the tx-6. reason i remember it is cause that what i use.
any ways wish ya the best thanks for reminding me to pack those be fore heading up lol's.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I always found planers that you had to thread line (ie Luhr Jensen Hot Shots) through it to be cumbersome and had to skip a spot or limit the amount of line behind the planer if there were snags close in. Boards that clip on were easier to use. They allowed you to cast out, quickly connect the board, then you were in business.

My favorite for that was the Big Jon Mini Otters, in that they had a reversible arm that allowed the board to be fished from the left or right. This is as opposed to dedicated unidirectional boards that are designated either port (left) or starboard (right) as you faced upstream.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I saw these awhile back... I haven't tried them or anything.
http://www.gut-z.com/RIVER_RAT.html
you don't happen to know if they are made in michigan do you? that would be a plus. i like em but they need there on line ordering up so we can order lol's . they look awesome i will have to try one lol's i am going to try that side winder asap up north see how well it works i will get a reply up here asap. i have used the tx-6 and just ordered this year the side winders. any ways wish ya luck.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yes, I have done this. It's a great tactic for getting as close as possible to a logjam. Works better earlier in the run imo.

·
Banned
640 Posts
They work good, ive used them pulling plugs for winter steelies...Got a set of them from Andys tackle in allen park, not the one up north...seen guys use them from the bank, thats the first time i seen them....mine are luhr jensen

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts