Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A doe chasing a buck. They busted out of the brush into the yard, buck in the front. I thought something spooked them until the buck did a figure eight and the doe stayed on his heals. I heard the does were territorial, now I got to see it first hand.
The buck was one I will definitely be looking for this fall.

·
Registered
36,059 Posts
Mama just broke his dinner plate and is kicking him out of the family group.

·
Registered
26,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mama just broke his dinner plate and is kicking him out of the family group.
:confused: The buck was much bigger than the doe.
I assume that you believe that this was a yearling.

This is a pic that is very close to the rack that he had. If anything though, the buck probably had more mass than the one pictured.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ya, like some of the other guys already said she probably has fawns and he got to close.
We had a lease in Hillsdale years ago. Every evening the same groups of does would come into a bean field to feed. Like clockwork and right at sunset the alpha doe would enter the field with her three fawns that all happened to be buttonbucks. When she came into the field all the other deer coward to her. Her and her fawns grazed wherever they wanted and every other deer would "give way". Even the smaller bucks would run from her

·
Banned
5,734 Posts
FP,
Write a book on your experience.
Plug yourself into the internet for research on why does chase bucks and then add a lot of personal opinion and speculation to the event.
I will gladly purchase it when I get home for dinner tonight.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
That is gonna be a bruiser!!!!!! I had a cat chasing a buck in my yard once. It was the weirdest thing I have ever seen.

Ganzer

·
Premium Member
16,535 Posts
FP,
Plug yourself into the internet for research on why does chase bucks and then add a lot of personal opinion and speculation to the event.
When you do this FP just remember, haters gonna hate:D

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
:confused: The buck was much bigger than the doe.
I assume that you believe that this was a yearling.

This is a pic that is very close to the rack that he had. If anything though, the buck probably had more mass than the one pictured.

I have absolutely seen this before. During the velvet antler phase, does are prone to being quite nasty and aggressive toward antlered bucks, even if the bucks are much larger. I believe this is a reason why the sexes are generally segregated during the summer, as bucks stay away from those crazy bitches.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
FP,
I could've set my watch to the timing of this post....Same Sh.. different day....Unbelievable!

·
Registered
26,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have known that does and bucks segregate in the summer months through observation and reading. Trail cam photos show that they'll share trails still.

I've also read that the does were the ones intolerant of trespassers. This is the first that I've witnessed it.

·
Banned
5,734 Posts
I could've set my watch to the timing of this post....Same Sh.. different day....Unbelievable!
Why you always crying?
I told him to write a book about it.
Always someone making a B.F.D. out of nothing.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
I believe this is a reason why the sexes are generally segregated during the summer, as bucks stay away from those crazy bitches.
There are many anecdotal notes from mammalogists of other females from mammalian species where they witnessed periods of da bitches be crazy syndrome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts