Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to recent changes (dated 08/08/03) in USDA regulations concerning the importation of ruminant carcasses from Canada, there has been some confusion as to what a hunter can bring into Michigan from other states and provinces. Part of the confusion stems from the fact that there are 2 distinct sets of regulations set by 2 different agencies applying to 2 different diseases.

As a precaution to prevent bringing Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) into Michigan, the Natural Resources Commission (NRC) passed a Wildlife Conservation Order in July which limited the parts of free-ranging elk, mule deer and white-tailed deer that can be imported from states and provinces that have CWD in their free-ranging deer or elk. These restrictions are published in the 2003 Michigan Hunting and Trapping Guide, and limit hunters to bringing only:

•De-boned meat
•Antlers attached to a skull cap cleaned of all brain and muscle tissue
•Hides cleaned of excess tissue or blood
•Upper canine teeth
•Finished taxidermist mount

From these places: Colorado, Illinois, Nebraska, New Mexico, South Dakota, Utah, Wisconsin, Wyoming, or Saskatchewan. Though USDA has overturned its ban on wild ruminant meat imports, the NRC order still requires that any meat that comes from a state or province where free-ranging deer or elk with a CWD have been found must be de-boned with any excess tissue or blood removed.

As a precaution to prevent bringing Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE; sometimes called “Mad Cow Disease”) into the United States from Canada, the U. S. Department of Agriculture earlier this summer banned importation of all meat from ruminant animals from Canada. In addition to domestic animals, that ban also applied to free-ranging deer, elk, moose, caribou, bison, musk oxen, sheep, and mountain goats. But as of August 8, 2003, the USDA changed their regulations, and now allows hunters to import some parts of wild ruminant carcasses from Canada into the U.S. A special permit will be required from hunters at the Canadian border, and hunters should consult USDA (Link to www.aphis.usda.gov import document) for more specific information.

In the case of hunters wishing to bring deer or elk carcasses or parts back to Michigan from Saskatchewan, both the NRC and the USDA regulations would apply. However, because the NRC regulations are more strict, they would take precedence.

Questions regarding the Michigan NRC restrictions for CWD should be directed to the Rose Lake Wildlife Disease Laboratory at (517) 373-9358. Questions regarding the USDA restrictions for BSE should be directed to USDA/APHIS-Veterinary Services (301) 734-3277.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts