Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,145 Posts
Anyone searching in Washtenaw or Wayne counties (Superior, Ypsilanti, Van Buren townships)? I continue to strike out and this is beyond frustrating considering my go-to private places have produced nothing. Up to 17 miles walked with 0 Morels. Dryad's saddle are all i have to show so far. Every 2-3 days for the last 2 weeks or so I'm out walking 3-4 miles, never the same location. GPS puts me at about a 1.5mph walking speed. I'll take any and all advise, I'm still pretty new to this. I've looked into tree identifications, searched wet areas, dry areas, mature tree areas and areas that were cleared in the last decade. Nothing.

Or maybe I just need to schedule an eye appointment :ROFLMAO:
Wayne, Washtenaw, and Jackson. It's been too dry is my theory. I have also seen an awful lot of pheasant backs though.

·
Premium Member
13,553 Posts
Interesting. There are still "ponds" where there normally aren't near my house.
Rain has been hit and miss. 4 inches and floods in Big Rapids Wednesday. Not one drop 37 miles south where I live.

It had been so dry up there that I could barely tell they got any rain when I was up there tonight. The ground just inhaled it. There were some nice channels cut into the dirt drive hills going in to our shack, but the ground wasn't even damp.

·
Premium Member
32,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Wayne, Washtenaw, and Jackson. It's been too dry is my theory.
I found those 3 in my photos (two good size, one thimble sized) about 5 minutes after starting to search the property.

Went back that evening to pick them - one of the two larger ones was starting to dry out, and the thimble sized one was a completely dried out mushroom.

Spent about two hours searching the rest of the property and didn't find another.

Dry? I guess I don't roam enough. The ground is pretty wet where I am
Normal for Ann Arbor April-mid May is about 5.5"... we've had less than 4"

·
Registered
146 Posts
The family property up north seems like it'd be perfect morel habitat. Rolling hills with areas of BTA, Ash, dead elm, and wild apple interspersed throughout. My best year is 12 blacks and I don't think I've found more than 24 total in a lifetime of searching. Head down the road to state land, search for the same type of habitat and it's a night and day difference and you can find a bag full if the conditions are right.
Your neighbors gettin em

·
44,250 Posts
I found those 3 in my photos (two good size, one thimble sized) about 5 minutes after starting to search the property.

Went back that evening to pick them - one of the two larger ones was starting to dry out, and the thimble sized one was a completely dried out mushroom.

Spent about two hours searching the rest of the property and didn't find another.

Normal for Ann Arbor April-mid May is about 5.5"... we've had less than 4"
I was expecting rain Saturday evening. Radar showed a wall coming. The radar then showed the damn rain literally part around me by about 5 miles each side. Moses was at it again.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Just checked it at lunch. Didn't see anything, but I'll be checking it all week in case
Biggest key is to look around and figure out the why. 95% of the time there is a host tree. Be it ash apple elm cherry. Cherry trees grow true Grey's and half frees. White are more ash apple and dying elm. But can be found under cottonwood. White pine. Other fruit trees. Or random. Blacks big tooth aspen. Ash are biggest 2. Find a mushroom look at leaf litter. And what tree's are around.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
No. The moment you find them is the largest they'll ever get. I read that on the internet.
Yeah I know the 17 little ones that I found last week That I left died and then 17 new great big ones popped up yesterday😉actually 15 one didn't grow and one was nocked over. Went from thumbnail size to pop can size in 8 days

101 - 117 of 117 Posts