Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,389 Posts
So keep doing what I've already been doing for 20+ hours with no success..

Those are nice secondaries, but without the primary costs exceed benefits.

While I enjoy nature - I can do that sitting on my porch relaxing. No need to drive, no need to bug spray up, no need to walk miles in the woods, no. ticks, no poison ivy...

I deer hunt to shoot deer - otherwise I'd just hike.
I fish to catch fish - otherwise I'd leave the poles home and just go for a boat ride.
Your arrogance just bleeds through your veins

Instant gratification or nothing! Why not just sit at your keyboard and hammer away

We already established you can’t hunt, will discount any help..,.wtf

·
47,723 Posts

Instant gratification or nothing! Why not just sit at your keyboard and hammer away

I dont see this discussion as arrogance at all. It's more what was previously said... wants the places that check boxes to have mushrooms and it just isn't that way.

·
Woods and Water Rat
23,959 Posts
This is why you can find fresh Hen of the Woods in stores all year now and morels in a handful of stores for a month selling for $75 a pound. I'm a "process" guy too, at least on some things, but it doesn't work here..... Really, it doesn't work.

Pescy, realizing he ain't finding any morels on his own.

Nose Eye Cartoon Human body Jaw

·
Premium Member
34,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Arrogance? The thread is literally about how BAD I am at this.

Instant gratification... I've spent 20+ hours looking and haven't found anything - and I'm still looking.

You seem really bothered. I suggest you just put me on ignore if my cost-benefit approach to life drives you to personal insults.

·
Premium Member
34,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
He needs virtual reality morel goggles. Set at home, no effort and sure of success.
I just don't get the "doesn't want to put in effort".

I've spent 20+ hours wandering the woods. I've covered mile upon mile.

I ain't asking for no effort, guaranteed success.

I'm looking for effort that leads to success, and not just randomly wasting time and effort on things that will never lead to success... and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just randomly wasting time that will never lead to success.

...but hey, enjoy your insults.

·
47,723 Posts

I'm looking for effort that leads to success, and not just randomly wasting time and effort on things that will never lead to success... and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just randomly wasting time that will never lead to success.

The thing is, they don't always grow where they're supposed to. I'd abandon the places you've been for now. Parks where you're really not supposed to harvest mushrooms can be good if you're lacking property nearby.

·
Registered
22,724 Posts
I was pushing 2 swings at the park when I received the photo LOL!
Last time I was doing that the kids parents came and yelled at me.
(Kidding , kidding.)

Good on you.
They're only young for a while. ( Kids too.)

·
47,723 Posts
Last time I was doing that the kids parents came and yelled at me.
(Kidding , kidding.)

Good on you.
They're only young for a while. ( Kids too.)
Funny you say that. A group of 5 or 6 siblings rushed the park. The same ones that kindly shoved my son out of his electric pickup last year because they wanted to ride it. The youngest 2 asked me to push them (high on the swing) as well. Being that the parents were nowhere in sight, and people are so damn weird nowadays, I made excuses as to why I couldn't push them. In reality it was because 1. You ain't my kid. 2. You ain't my kid and if you get hurt, it's my ass. 3. You ain't my skin tone and I don't want to be posted on the front page of every website or have a thread about the white guy who touched a minority child while his/her parents were not there. Society made me feel like I was being racist when in reality I was terrified if being accused of whatever the hell anyone would want to turn it into.

·
Registered
22,724 Posts
Funny you say that. A group of 5 or 6 siblings rushed the park. The same ones that kindly shoved my son out of his electric pickup last year because they wanted to ride it. The youngest 2 asked me to push them (high on the swing) as well. Being that the parents were nowhere in sight, and people are so damn weird nowadays, I made excuses as to why I couldn't push them. In reality it was because 1. You ain't my kid. 2. You ain't my kid and if you get hurt, it's my ass. 3. You ain't my skin tone and I don't want to be posted on the front page of every website or have a thread about the white guy who touched a minority child while his/her parents were not there. Society made me feel like I was being racist when in reality I was terrified if being accused of whatever the hell anyone would want to turn it into.
A veteran I think very highly of promoted kayaking.
Worked with physically disabled folks for /towards an annual big deal event.
But he would dodge youths on his home water when alone.
He didn't want any accusations.
Not due to his character , but the times. And that was a decade plus ago!

I'll entertain behaved kids when metal detecting. IF a parent is close and approves. Rarely they don't get the hint first though that they can leave me alone.
But kids are kids and some are curious more than others.
Where's your leg? Does it hurt?
Parents then want to shush them but I tell them let the kid(s) ask. It's how we learn. By that time the kids usually ogling the metal detector mystery thingy and wanting to know what I'm doing and what was I digging.

One duo hung a while all interested in the detector recoveries in a park. "Helping " like kids do , but not being grabby and tempting a one sided game of mumbly peg with my digging (plug cutting) tool.
Quite a while. (Impolite kids get run off. "Go tell your mother she needs you!" She's not here Mr.. "Exactly. Go find her". Works on neighborhood kids too. l.o.l. Thanks old Tom for teaching me that one.)
When the kids finally realized evening was nigh they acknowledged they had a mother still. She got over it.
As they headed towards the parking area Mom looked back over her shoulder with a big smile and mouthed , Thank You!". She got a smile in return.

Sure were polite kids. A pleasure to introduce to detecting. But I understand not being alone or isolated with others strange (not strange , but stranger strange) kids today too. Or with most other people for that matter!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Hit another spot by work at lunch...

View attachment 831450
View attachment 831451
View attachment 831449

Trillium starting to bloom, lots of skunk cabbage and mayapples... Still no mushrooms.
I agree with sureshot - those woods don't look very "morel friendly" to me. If you're hunting southern MI right now, I'd focus on dead elm and fruit trees. I don't find many whites around ash down here (up north is a different story.) Looking at the leaf litter in the picture, seems to be a lot of oak - I don't find any morels in oak woods. I know people do well around tulip poplar but I haven't found many tulip poplar to make a statement on them.

If you head up north for blacks, learn to identify big tooth aspen from the other aspen. It's a bit difficult when they're not leafed out but take a look at the leaf litter on the ground. The woods I hunt up north are pockets of BTA interspersed amongst other hardwoods. In those stands of BTA are some mossy stumps from logging done long ago - these are the spots to take your time scanning around. Sometimes I'll get to a spot and it just feels shroomy and I can't figure out why I'm not finding any but then I look closely and can see the area has already been picked.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Loamy, sandy soil with a thin but rich black topsoil, well drained. But again conditions seemingly right do not a morel woods make. My buddy esg and I each had definitely different ideas of what a "perfect" morel woods should look like. It got weird at first. We'd pull into each others spot quietly thinking the other guy was nuts, until we hauled back the mushrooms!

I wish I knew the formula though.....
The family property up north seems like it'd be perfect morel habitat. Rolling hills with areas of BTA, Ash, dead elm, and wild apple interspersed throughout. My best year is 12 blacks and I don't think I've found more than 24 total in a lifetime of searching. Head down the road to state land, search for the same type of habitat and it's a night and day difference and you can find a bag full if the conditions are right.

·
Super Moderator
23,389 Posts

You are looking in the wrong spots. I have spent some time with a mushroom hunting fool. He might spend 3 hours crawling under hedges and through the thickest of brush, all in a very small area. Local Park system

For the larger tracts within State Game areas you will see where people park. I know of one where you would see 6-7 trucks. Another good place to start.

Again, like mentioned above this is probably the worst year with colder temps and now a lack of moisture. Maybe this weekends rain will help.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts