Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
After a half hour at lunch yesterday, and about two hours last night... I figure I'm a touch over 20 hours of looking between Ypsi/Arbor and Harrison/Gladwin.

I'd be ecstatic if I found one, dried up bug eaten, morel at this point.

One of the areas I've been hunting is getting controlled burned this Friday, so no more looking there after tomorrow.
Mark that burn area for next year.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I'm not disqualifying anyones advice - their experience is valid.

...but a lot of the advice (both here and everywhere else I've researched) just isn't actionable, or is ludicrously non-specific, or is contradictory.
Just like anything with the great outdoors, what you read that works for some will not work for all. Thank God that is the case, or hunting and fishing would become more like a trip to the high fence lands or supermarket pretty predictable and not much adventure although the supermarkets have gotten more interesting the past couple years. Like hunting game or fishing it takes a lifetime to learn as each year it changes, the season is very short and weather dependent, the area you have spent 20+ hours on this year may just be an area that don't produce, the weather has not been right or someone or something has already beat you to them. I am far from qualified to tell anyone how to find them but in my experiences it getting very late in the season especially in southern Mi, I found most in early April sometime there were patches of snow on the ground usually during Turkey season after hunting hours ended.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
No need - basically all of the natural areas around my workplace get a controlled burn every couple years. The area was burned 1-2 years ago, it'll get burned Friday, and it'll get burned again in another 1-2 years.
Is this a wooded area? Some kind of conservation program?

·
Registered
23,285 Posts
Numerous small woodlots and grasslands, ~2-10 acres in size, interspersed among campus. Burns done by a company that specializes in "ecological burns and native plant restoration".
Have you checked for whites/big footed yellows late season there?

Storms last night in Northern Lower.
I ran the leaf bagger yesterday evening and the dust cloud was impressive. No mushrooms.

·
Premium Member
34,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I am not a morel expert by any means but that doesn't look like morel "habitat". But that probably just means my spots look different.
It's a hillside with -

Creek bottom full of skunk cabbage.

Deciduous forest, lots of dead trees, lots of it ash. Previously controlled burned.

Mayapples, trillium, and jack-in-the-pulpit popping up all over the place.

Seems to fit most descriptions of morel habitat, but I ain't finding anything...

·
Woods and Water Rat
24,264 Posts
I never perceived that.
He's definitely been provided an advantage, where they grow. He only has to do the driving, leg, & eye work should he desire. It's gonna be crowded, but it's 100% morel woods if he applys the obvious to his walkabout. And doesn't walk into a field and hope they are there.....though they could be!

·
Woods and Water Rat
24,264 Posts
It's a hillside with -

Deciduous forest, lots of dead trees, lots of it ash. Previously controlled burned.

Seems to fit most descriptions of morel habitat, but I ain't finding anything...
Yeah but that is the enigma, that the morel is......may be a bit too wet though?

·
Premium Member
34,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
He's definitely been provided an advantage, where they grow. He only has to do the driving, leg, & eye work should he desire. It's gonna be crowded, but it's 100% morel woods if he applys the obvious to his walkabout. And doesn't walk into a field and hope they are there.....though they could be!
If you're talking ** * - it's just way too far away. 4+ hours from home, and 2+ from my cottage - where we only have one vehicle and I'm not allowed too disappear with it for more than a couple hours.

I appreciate the suggestion, but it just isn't doable.

·
48,973 Posts
It's a hillside with -

I like dead elm

·
Woods and Water Rat
24,264 Posts
If you're talking XXXXXXXXXX - it's just way too far away. 4+ hours from home, and 2+ from my cottage - where we only have one vehicle and I'm not allowed too disappear with it for more than a couple hours.

I appreciate the suggestion, but it just isn't doable.
Well, I wasn't gonna post it...but it's on TV every year.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Back in the day, we went to a Larry Lonik presentation. He was sort of an authority on morels.

He went through the preferred habitat but his big takeaway was “ They are where they are.”

The “process” would be to take what you are hearing on the forum and go look. Find some BTA and go look. In the past it was find some Elm, or find some Ash. Before the Ash Borer we rarely found a white morel outside the dripline Of an Ash tree. I am sure that part of that was because that was where we looked.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread we have slacked off on the picking, partly because we sold an 80 that had more than enough for us. But we still look while driving around for likely spots.

I mentioned it earlier as did someone else that is like grouse hunting. You see a likely spot and mentally mark it down. Check it when conditions are right.

plus, in many cases the actual mushrooms are secondary. We were sitting out this morning drinking coffee and we could hear, Cranes, Turkeys, two Owls, and the far away neighbors rooster.

·
Woods and Water Rat
24,264 Posts
Loamy, sandy soil with a thin but rich black topsoil, well drained. But again conditions seemingly right do not a morel woods make. My buddy esg and I each had definitely different ideas of what a "perfect" morel woods should look like. It got weird at first. We'd pull into each others spot quietly thinking the other guy was nuts, until we hauled back the mushrooms!

I wish I knew the formula though.....

Covers about 150' of elevation. It's a bit mushy at the bottom (but still dry enough for tennis shoes), dry as a bone at the top. Trillium and mayapples are middle third of slope

·
Premium Member
34,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
The “process” would be to take what you are hearing on the forum and go look. Find some BTA and go look. In the past it was find some Elm, or find some Ash. Before the Ash Borer we rarely found a white morel outside the dripline Of an Ash tree. I am sure that part of that was because that was where we looked.
So keep doing what I've already been doing for 20+ hours with no success..

plus, in many cases the actual mushrooms are secondary. We were sitting out this morning drinking coffee and we could hear, Cranes, Turkeys, two Owls, and the far away neighbors rooster.
Those are nice secondaries, but without the primary costs exceed benefits.

While I enjoy nature - I can do that sitting on my porch relaxing. No need to drive, no need to bug spray up, no need to walk miles in the woods, no. ticks, no poison ivy...

I deer hunt to shoot deer - otherwise I'd just hike.
I fish to catch fish - otherwise I'd leave the poles home and just go for a boat ride.

·
48,973 Posts
So keep doing what I've already been doing for 20+ hours with no success..

Those are nice secondaries, but without the primary costs exceed benefits.

While I enjoy nature - I can do that sitting on my porch relaxing. No need to drive, no need to bug spray up, no need to walk miles in the woods, no. ticks, no poison ivy...

I deer hunt to shoot deer - otherwise I'd just hike.
I fish to catch fish - otherwise I'd leave the poles home and just go for a boat ride.
Why don't you hike and browse for mushrooms along the way?

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Any mycology clubs around your area? Thats my plan when I get more time is meet up with someone thats gracious enough to either take me somewhere they can be found locally or at least come to my prospective spots to help me locate them if they are even there. There are clubs around me that will for a small fee bring you along to local spots and look for whatever species is in season. Alot of guys are not going to show their spots obviously but they would likely be willing to help you look in your spots...just an idea. You can research all day long but to have an actual SME show you the ropes can be a big eye opener. I can research the shyte out of something for fishing and think I understand it but then Ill go out with guys from here that have a whole lifetime of experience on the water and there's just things you wont pick up on without direct hands on knowledge and guidance. Sometimes its just a small course correction that's needed to put you into the path of success.

Id suggest looking for someone to come to your spots and either eliminate them as a possibility, or maybe they can point you in the right direction.

41 - 60 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.