Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 21 Posts

·
47,728 Posts
It's a hillside with -

Creek bottom full of skunk cabbage.

Deciduous forest, lots of dead trees, lots of it ash. Previously controlled burned.

Mayapples, trillium, and jack-in-the-pulpit popping up all over the place.

Seems to fit most descriptions of morel habitat, but I ain't finding anything...
I like dead elm

·
47,728 Posts
So keep doing what I've already been doing for 20+ hours with no success..

Those are nice secondaries, but without the primary costs exceed benefits.

While I enjoy nature - I can do that sitting on my porch relaxing. No need to drive, no need to bug spray up, no need to walk miles in the woods, no. ticks, no poison ivy...

I deer hunt to shoot deer - otherwise I'd just hike.
I fish to catch fish - otherwise I'd leave the poles home and just go for a boat ride.
Why don't you hike and browse for mushrooms along the way?

·
47,728 Posts
Your arrogance just bleeds through your veins

Instant gratification or nothing! Why not just sit at your keyboard and hammer away

We already established you can’t hunt, will discount any help..,.wtf
I dont see this discussion as arrogance at all. It's more what was previously said... wants the places that check boxes to have mushrooms and it just isn't that way.

·
47,728 Posts
I just don't get the "doesn't want to put in effort".

I've spent 20+ hours wandering the woods. I've covered mile upon mile.

I ain't asking for no effort, guaranteed success.

I'm looking for effort that leads to success, and not just randomly wasting time and effort on things that will never lead to success... and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm just randomly wasting time that will never lead to success.

...but hey, enjoy your insults.
The thing is, they don't always grow where they're supposed to. I'd abandon the places you've been for now. Parks where you're really not supposed to harvest mushrooms can be good if you're lacking property nearby.

·
47,728 Posts
Last time I was doing that the kids parents came and yelled at me.
(Kidding , kidding.)

Good on you.
They're only young for a while. ( Kids too.)
Funny you say that. A group of 5 or 6 siblings rushed the park. The same ones that kindly shoved my son out of his electric pickup last year because they wanted to ride it. The youngest 2 asked me to push them (high on the swing) as well. Being that the parents were nowhere in sight, and people are so damn weird nowadays, I made excuses as to why I couldn't push them. In reality it was because 1. You ain't my kid. 2. You ain't my kid and if you get hurt, it's my ass. 3. You ain't my skin tone and I don't want to be posted on the front page of every website or have a thread about the white guy who touched a minority child while his/her parents were not there. Society made me feel like I was being racist when in reality I was terrified if being accused of whatever the hell anyone would want to turn it into.

·
47,728 Posts
I found those 3 in my photos (two good size, one thimble sized) about 5 minutes after starting to search the property.

Went back that evening to pick them - one of the two larger ones was starting to dry out, and the thimble sized one was a completely dried out mushroom.

Spent about two hours searching the rest of the property and didn't find another.

Normal for Ann Arbor April-mid May is about 5.5"... we've had less than 4"
I was expecting rain Saturday evening. Radar showed a wall coming. The radar then showed the damn rain literally part around me by about 5 miles each side. Moses was at it again.

1 - 19 of 21 Posts