Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Prior to this year, I've never intentionally hunted for morels.

I'd find one here or there - in my yard, or in the woods out scouting for deer in the spring -but never enough that I'd bother picking them. Maybe an average of 1-2 a year.

As a way to get out in the woods a bit more this spring and force myself to do a little more scouting - I figured I'd give actively hunting for morels a go. I wasn't expecting much, but figured with some effort I'd at least find 10-15, enough to bother picking and eating.

Lets just say that hasn't happened.

I read all kinds of stuff on the internet and in books. I've concentrated my efforts on areas that fit the description...

Dead/dying Elm, Oak, Ash
Dead trees/stumps other deciduous trees (oak, hickory, birch, beech...)
Burned areas
Creek beds
Controlled burn sites in/around deciduous trees
A group of old abandoned apple trees on state land
Mossy areas.... mayapples... trilliums...

I've hit tons of state land between Harrison and Gladwin, as well as looking in Ypsi/Arboer around where I work at lunch every day (lots of dead decidious trees, in areas that get controlled burns every couple years), and at the parks near my house (also deciduous with regular controlled burns).

I figure - I've got 15-20 hours in, and I haven't seen a single morel. Not a tiny one. Not an old dried up one. Nothing. Zip. Zilch.

Either I'm looking in the wrong places, or I'm just missing what is there - but I'll take any tips I can get.

Note: I am mildly red-green deficient, so I might have a harder time seeing them than some folks.
I'm not good at formally identifying most trees or other plants.... It's just not something I ever got into and a lot of my outdoor pursuits are self taught, so nobody along the way told me what was what. That said.... Mushroom hunting, most definitely morel hunting, is a lot like grouse hunting to me. I don't necessarily know why I say something "looks good," but I feel confident in identifying spots after years of trying to identify spots...... This is just me, I'm sure others may see it differently.

To start, one thing I'd say is that "up north" morel hunting is different than "down here" morel hunting. I haven't hunted up north in years. But, I did a fair amount when my grandparents and parents lived up there. Up there, I found a lot of black morels, which is something I do not find in abundance down here (other than in my backyard, which is another story....). As others have mentioned, it seems like Aspen was a predominant theme up there, with particularly good spots being along creeks, gently sloping hills, the occasional conifer mixed in, etc.

The spots down here I hunt are almost exclusively the yellow variety. Two of the best finds I've ever had, where you get into a patch of like 50+ in a small area, were gradual east facing hills, softer hardwoods (softer hardwoods???) when the forest floor is getting green. I have heard others say southwest facing hills, or even north facing hills later in the season. Just stating my personal experience of east facing hills, sloping down toward wetland, on the edge of a field even better. I have always associated the stage of mayapples with morels, ramps as well. If the ramps aren't out and ready to pick I generally don't get too excited about seeing morels. Same if the mayapples haven't fully grown. I also associate the general color of the forest floor with seeing them. No green at all, I'm probably not even going. Full blown green, it's too late or there is maybe even too much vegetation in the area. Somewhere between 50-75% of the full blown vegetation that you'd see at the end of May, that is when I feel like I'll find some. I generally avoid a lot of oak when hunting down here. I've had good luck with overgrown fence rows down here, ones with trees. As with many other things, I like edges, edges of fields, edges of swamps. But, if I see skunk cabbage I feel I'm too low and will go elsewhere. I don't dismiss small amounts of raspberries, or even thin patches if the surrounding areas look right. One of my better spots has a few raised peninsulas that jut out into a swamp that has small bushes/trees with raspberries mixed in. They're a pain to pick, but every one is worth it.

Anyway, this is just me. I can't say enough that it's just looking at some ground after years of hunting and having the instinct to say "Yeah, that looks good." I'm sure there are more exact and scientific methods that could be used, identifying flora, sun exposure, weather, etc., but this is how I do it. The other thing is IT'S A MOREL. The other mushrooms I pick, extremely predictable. I've found 50 morels in an area 10yds by 10yds and never seen them there again over 15 years..... Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
A process is a a systematic series of actions directed to some end, and I definitely haven't seen anyone layout a systemic series of actions.
This is why you can find fresh Hen of the Woods in stores all year now and morels in a handful of stores for a month selling for $75 a pound. I'm a "process" guy too, at least on some things, but it doesn't work here..... Really, it doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Hit another spot by work at lunch...

View attachment 831450
View attachment 831451
View attachment 831449

Trillium starting to bloom, lots of skunk cabbage and mayapples... Still no mushrooms.
As I said in my other post, skunk cabbage to me says that's a transition into an area I don't want to be in. 20-30 yards away from the skunk cabbage and trending up hill a little? Much better. Anyway, I found 19 last night. I also found 2 trespassers and 6 ticks. The 19, though you cannot tell from the pictures, were all in areas that are receiving much more sunlight than other areas. I stepped back away from a couple patches to take a picture. Look at your pictures now these.

This one is on the east edge of a VERY old orchard. You can see my basket sitting where the mushrooms are.

Plant Natural landscape Twig Tree Groundcover

This one is a transitional area about 150 yards by 300 yards in between the orchard and the swamp.

Plant community Plant Ecoregion Terrestrial plant Grass

The ones I found last night were not there on Saturday. In addition, my wife found 6 more blacks in our backyard last night that were not there when she picked the other ones this weekend. So, I'm HOPING I will find more in the next 4-5 days as the warmth we've finally got starts to take hold in the ground. Or, maybe the trespassers got me.... But, look at the difference between the pictures you posted and these. Your woods looks unhappy. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Trespassers picking your morels? I'd be pissed... do you think most hound bear hunters are also morel hunters? :mischief:

Only joking of course...
Ha! Yeah.... Sherriff was on the way. After about 15 minutes of fairly potent verbal abuse and a phone call with the previous owner, I called the police back and told them to bag it, somewhat reluctantly..... Long story.... Between that, 6 ticks, 90 degrees and not nearly as many shrooms as I'd hoped, it was not my best hunt ever. Oh well.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts