Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Either I'm looking in the wrong places, or I'm just missing what is there - but I'll take any tips I can get.
These are my two biggest problems. I feel when I'm in the woods I seem to look at the big picture reason for missing the little things that may be there (looking for deer/game, trails, scraps rubs when with my Dad or Uncle they are always looking more for signs being tracks, droppings, beds, escape routes etc). I also feel with confidence in an area it is much easier to find them, my Dad and I would go to a place and find them almost every time out. Now that he is gone I have been back to that place one or twice and found them but looking other areas that I feel should be good I just don't fine them maybe because there are none to be found or more likely I am missing them. Another area my Dad and I used to find them all the time they logged the area and after that we didn't find them again maybe it was temporary buy lasted a number of years just have not been back since he passed.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I'm not disqualifying anyones advice - their experience is valid.

...but a lot of the advice (both here and everywhere else I've researched) just isn't actionable, or is ludicrously non-specific, or is contradictory.
Just like anything with the great outdoors, what you read that works for some will not work for all. Thank God that is the case, or hunting and fishing would become more like a trip to the high fence lands or supermarket pretty predictable and not much adventure although the supermarkets have gotten more interesting the past couple years. Like hunting game or fishing it takes a lifetime to learn as each year it changes, the season is very short and weather dependent, the area you have spent 20+ hours on this year may just be an area that don't produce, the weather has not been right or someone or something has already beat you to them. I am far from qualified to tell anyone how to find them but in my experiences it getting very late in the season especially in southern Mi, I found most in early April sometime there were patches of snow on the ground usually during Turkey season after hunting hours ended.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts