1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Hit another spot by work at lunch...

View attachment 831450
View attachment 831451
View attachment 831449

Trillium starting to bloom, lots of skunk cabbage and mayapples... Still no mushrooms.
I agree with sureshot - those woods don't look very "morel friendly" to me. If you're hunting southern MI right now, I'd focus on dead elm and fruit trees. I don't find many whites around ash down here (up north is a different story.) Looking at the leaf litter in the picture, seems to be a lot of oak - I don't find any morels in oak woods. I know people do well around tulip poplar but I haven't found many tulip poplar to make a statement on them.

If you head up north for blacks, learn to identify big tooth aspen from the other aspen. It's a bit difficult when they're not leafed out but take a look at the leaf litter on the ground. The woods I hunt up north are pockets of BTA interspersed amongst other hardwoods. In those stands of BTA are some mossy stumps from logging done long ago - these are the spots to take your time scanning around. Sometimes I'll get to a spot and it just feels shroomy and I can't figure out why I'm not finding any but then I look closely and can see the area has already been picked.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Loamy, sandy soil with a thin but rich black topsoil, well drained. But again conditions seemingly right do not a morel woods make. My buddy esg and I each had definitely different ideas of what a "perfect" morel woods should look like. It got weird at first. We'd pull into each others spot quietly thinking the other guy was nuts, until we hauled back the mushrooms!

I wish I knew the formula though.....
The family property up north seems like it'd be perfect morel habitat. Rolling hills with areas of BTA, Ash, dead elm, and wild apple interspersed throughout. My best year is 12 blacks and I don't think I've found more than 24 total in a lifetime of searching. Head down the road to state land, search for the same type of habitat and it's a night and day difference and you can find a bag full if the conditions are right.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts