Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at buying an ATV with some of the money i am saving up while im in iraq and am in need of some advice. I want something newer (not brand new maybe 2000 to 2006) and that has power and speed. Power for deer hunting and things like that. Speed because i wanna have something that if i want it to go fast then it will. Looking for performance and reliablity.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Just about any brand name 4X4 ATV on the market will suit you fine. I would not go less than 450cc.

I'm partial to my 07 Grizzly 450 auto 4X4......it has a true 4X4 system with push button locking differentials............has more power than an average person needs and will do 54 mph. if you want to go that fast..............

Mine is decked out with a 3000 lb Superwinch and a 60 inch Cycle Country snow blade...............made 6 ft piles of snow last winter with that brute..:evil:

But as I said any of the brand name quads will fit the bill........there are a few used quads on craigslist etc but the 4X4 utility quads go pretty darn quick........

Good luck in your search...stay safe.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
My 07 Griz. spec'd out new w/winch and blade for $7549.

You should plan on $3000/3500 minimum for a good brand name quad for a 00 and the prices would go up from there.

Check out NADA blue book for used quad prices....as they are all over the place, mostly depends on condition and area its for sale......

·
Registered
681 Posts
you state that speed is a requirement, where will you be when you are going fast?? our trails in michigan?? family farm/property?? you said power, power for pulling implements?? or do you actually mean capacity for hauling stuff on racks?? if you need power for pulling trailers and implements, then i would lean towards a more utility machine like the grizz or polaris sportsman or some of the cats. now if i needed a few racks to throw gear and a deer on then i would look at the yamaha wolverine. its a sport/utility that has racks that can be removed and has a suspension that is setup better for faster trail riding than the bigger utility quads. most all quads will do 45mph and faster, which is fast enough to get hurt. if you plan on doing fast trail riding than get a machine that has the valving and spring setup geared for that style. but carry capacity will be alot less on that type of suspension. one thing i would also recomend, when you get back from serving, ride a friend or family members quad. try to ride a sport and utility quad to help you decide. having a feel of a few machines will give you an idea of things.features you like and need. not every machine is for everybody

·
Registered
33 Posts
I picked up a 2007 brand new Wolverine for $3999 in Ohio last year.

Mix between Util and Sport. Fun in the snow, I added a hitch for $30 to pull a cart, seeder etc......

Nice all around!

Hits 48mph with my big **** on it, does about 52 with someone lighter.

·
Registered
681 Posts
every tire is different. they make tires that are dot approved. not sure if there is a speed rating?? there are tires that are 2 ply, 4 ply, 6 ply and so on. there is bias ply made and also radials that are made. truth is most machines dont go fast enough to worry about the tire comming apart. when you get the need for a tire to be as strong as possible for the style riding your doing you get that tire, then beedlock rims, and for added piece of mind you get tire balls. another thing to consider is most machines suspensions cant handle the speed smoothly. the machine would be a limiting factor before tires become a concern.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Depends what your needs vs. wants are. Money, 4x4, 2x4, great ride (read independent suspension), 1 or 2 passenger???

Yamaha makes one of the best all around ATVs out there which is the Grizzly. They also make one of the best all around side x sides out there which is the Rhino. I used to have a grizzly and loved it and now I have the Rhino...and love it even more. My wife calls it an "old man's quad" and all I say is "YEP...that's what it is."

Here it is:

It's got a week's worth of hunting gear in it while coming out of deer camp (including a forkie if you look hard enough).

Good luck with your search. I find a lot of good used toys at reasonable prices on Craigslist.

I'm partial to Yamaha. My second choice would be a Honda. They're so darned dependable...they just run forever.

Grizzly Hunter

·
Registered
681 Posts
one thing with the rhinos and other utv's is most are all over 50 inches wide, i think the razr(polaris) is 50 ro less in width. to ride on the trails in michigan you have to be 50 or less or can be cited if the co or leo wants to be within all the laws. my honda with long travel exteded a arms put me at 51". ive been checked for sound(db) but have not had a co check my width. technicaly i could be cited for violation. the reason i bring this issue up is i have had a fried issued a ticket in his utv on our trails for being over 50". just 1 more thing to consider in your search. just know how you will use your machine before buying 1 your stuck with.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Not totally sure what you need, but certain things concern me, as my ATV is 95% hunting useage and takes me through nasty slop on a daily basis for 2-3 months in a row. But YMMV.

I look at ground clearance as one of my main criteria for my needs. Getting high-centered sucks.

Also, I'm careful to examine the racks and what sort of rack extensions are available. I like lots of bungee hookup points. Stuff needs to be SECURE where I go.

Waterproofing and sealing of vulnerable parts is another thing I look at.

I had a Polaris Sportsman 500 and going through some nasty slop, I once carried out 2 deer, my buddy and me all in one trip.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
There is a lot of used ATV's out there. The Grizzly is a good choice..IMO.We bought a 2004 660 4X4 last year with a winch and blade for $3,200..with very low mileage. It's a buyer's market.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Should have been up here thisafternoon. Id have let you take the two from the guys running the hill clearly marked "NO TREASPASSING"???

Cant understand it. If you mention it to them you are an xxxcccsssmmm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts