Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent bow hunted since 4 years ago when I shot a deer and after tracking all night I didnt recover it.
I havent caught a coyote this year. Last night I had two pull outs. the first pulled my stake half way out, but eventually pulled his foot out of the trap. The second one got away with my trap and stake still on his foot. I feel terrible. This unfrozen soft ground stinks. I used an 18 inch rebar stake, I was sure it would hold. I thought I drove it in right through some tree roots.
I dont understand how a swivel can work properly if you double stake. The swivel couldnt possibly spin around with two stakes through it. I could use some advice from some of you more experienced trappers.

I'm not giving up, just dont want this to happen again.
Thanks for any advice
Gary

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I am the last person you'd want most advice from because I too am new to this, I do know the answer to your question though. You need to put a double stake swivel on the stakes. Basically it looks kinda like two big washers with a small piece of steel sepertating them, the stake go thru each washer and theres a swivel in the middle that the trap chain hooks too. Hope this helps!

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
CaptainNorthwood said:
I am the last person you'd want most advice from because I too am new to this, I do know the answer to your question though. You need to put a double stake swivel on the stakes. Basically it looks kinda like two big washers with a small piece of steel sepertating them, the stake go thru each washer and theres a swivel in the middle that the trap chain hooks too. Hope this helps!
captain is right. you can also use disposable stakes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Cross stake with 24" rebar stakes. Berkshire make a cross stake swivel. I like the cable stakes until I have to pull them.
Bernie

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Use double cross stake method every time or you will experience more of the same. It works best with a swivel or two half way up the chain. My traps get double cross staked and have 3 swivels on them. The problem is that a coyote will sometimes lunge straight up, thus pumping the stake. I hear disposable stake work well also as Wildbill mentioned. I have yet to try them though. How long is your trap chain? Sometimes too long of chain allows them to get a run at the trap and will cause pull outs, although that is some peoples answer to stake pumping. I would do alot of scouting over the next couple of days, he'll likely get hung up in brush somewhere.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is why I won't use rebar on land anymore. I too lost an animal due to an overnite downpour loosening an otherwise sturdy stake. You DO feel terrible when that happens :sad:. I use only Berkshire cable-stakes now, and I'm very pleased with their performance. I recently caught a 46lb coyote using an 18" cable-stake anchor. I don't "set" my stakes, I let the critters do that. She pulled 6" of cable up in frozen ground before it grabbed & it held great. They can be a pain to retrieve sometimes tho. Nothing a trowel can't remedy come spring tho. :)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
this was brought up many times on this site and this is how i explained it to someone. you need special double stake swivels to double stake something. here is a post from a while back that explains how they work and gives some of my not so good illustrations to help. http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121388&highlight=double+stake

18 inch rebar is not nearly good enough if not double staked i have a yote pull out a 24 in rebar stake with a very short well swiveled chain. now i always double stake or use grapples.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Use a Berkshire w/ 16-18' of cable depending on your area/soil. You do nat have to leave them unless it is a good spot. I keep a regular long handle shovel in the trunk for trap pulling day and it takes 2 or 3 shovelsful to get the thing out.

In one case (almost 2) I could not get the rebar driver out after driving the Berkshire in-that is in sand-16"..the second one I wiggled the driver as I drove.

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
dave brings up a good point on using different lengths on your cable stakes. for coons i use a 12" cable stake and for my canine sets i am using 18"-24" cable stakes. for the most part i have loose soil and my stakes have held solid so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts