Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what a strange couple of weeks it's been. and trying to catch up, it sounds like things were "interesting" here as well!

Just got back in from a true "run n' gun" adventure!

fortunate for me, I have two great friends that happen to live on each corner of the continent! The weekend before thanksgiving had me boarding a plane heading west from detroit to Oregon.
the following weekend had me returning to detroit for the day (sunday), then bouncing over the border on Monday to Toronto to then catch my next flight out to Prince Edward Island in the Maritimes. (sucks to be me, right?!) ;)

we usually tear up the geese pretty good out west, but the weather didn't cooperate at all. (have I ever mentioned I want to be a weatherman? where else can you be right 5% of the time and STILL keep your job?!) forecast called for cold but sunny. ended up with mild and foggy for 5 straight days!! never heard or saw a goose for three days, but the mallards cooperated nicely. ended up shooting full limits 4 days straight over a pasture pond - that's a pacific flyway limit of 7 ducks EACH!! 90% mallards with a few GWT's (buddy's wife doesn't like us to shoot them - but I find them sporting!), a few pinners and a beaute' cottontop.

then I heard music to my ears. a lone, desperate honk somewhere in the fog. My god! the first goose I've heard since I've been out here!! someone was lost, so I helped him find his way through the pea soup. Up out of the mist... over the pond ... then "BANG"! - eased his pain!

for the trip, we ended up with very few geese this time, but the ducks treated us very, very well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
the second leg was the Maritimes

RECORD MILD CONDITIONS!! december 1st was note worthy only because we were all just shaking our heads that we were hunting in just long sleeve T's - in december!!! the hunting was aweful, but the company was fantastic. try as we did to line up some good hunts, the birds just weren't there. we finally found a small river holding some blacks and GWT's but...

Not only do you consider shooting hours out there, but you also have to consider tide tables! something we ALL forgot in our excitement of finding these birds. well, the next morning found us staring across a mud flat that used to be a waist deep river! didn't matter though. we set the rig out on the flat and had a nice little teal shoot. nearly all the retrieves were "spot" marks! you'd knock 'em down and they just bury into the mud almost completely out of sight. quite a workout for the dogs, but they were as appreciative as we were for the gunning.

Never got a chance at the squaws or eiders - guess I'll have to save that for another time!

And we had a couple of seals pay us a visit one time! that was kinda interesting!! :yikes: what the .... :p

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Branta said:
what a strange couple of weeks it's been. and trying to catch up, it sounds like things were "interesting" here as well!
Yeah...interesting! Cast -n- blast turned into jig-n-blast :dizzy: Spuds and sledgehammers for all around here :lol: What can you do?
Sounds like you had a decent trip and you wern't breaking ice for a couple of high flyers ;)
Bummer no camera :gaga:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
You didn't miss much here Russ just thousands of geese everywhere. Birds flying in the middle of the night because of a full moon and snow on the ground waking me up at all hours. ;) :p

Well I thought I would give it a shot after your making everybody jelous stories. You really didn't miss that much hunting though, we all concentrated on killing bucks instead of birds.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
What ??? NO PICS ??...... :yikes: Oh man, now I'm hurt !
Wait on the edge of my seat, on the puter every night, waiting !
Good thing the "Kid" and Kevlar came through, and a few others.
Well ? It wasnt planned soooooo.............. ;)

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
What ??? NO PICS ??...... :yikes: Oh man, now I'm hurt !
Wait on the edge of my seat, on the puter every night, waiting !
Good thing the "Kid" and Kevlar came through, and a few others.
Well ? It wasnt planned soooooo.............. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, no pics this time.

Best Buy is like that one commercial where today is really tomorrow! it was suppose to be ready for pick up before I left for out west. just picked it up yesterday.

the kicker? from the tuesday prior to thanksgiving until this past sunday, they must have called me 6 times to tell me my camera was now ready! [you dirty son of a .... :rant: ] called 'em back to say yes, got the message but I won't be home until 12/5.

didn't seem to stop them from continuing to call though! :smile-mad

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Sounds like a blast, what a double header. SHame on you for planning such a adventure without telling us. I might have just smuggled myself in your luggage. :D

I'm saving already for my trips next season. I'm so freaking pumped for next season, and this one isn't even over....:lol: Right now there is a fat Drake Harli and a Alantic Brant that just dosen't know there going to die next season. This my friends I WILL gaurantee you... Not to mention all the Dungenous crabs and Prongs I'm going to put down. :corkysm55 That might just be Heaven....

Kevlar

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Branta:

Sorry about the camera, sounds like the good company made up for it though. Isnt it funny that the midwest is the only spot that sells those darn throw away cameras. Darn east and west coasters. Just kidding. Glad to see that you had fun and made it back safely!!

Jason

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shiawassee_Kid said:
maritimes: is that the place where you piled up seaweed for black duck decoys last year?
yes, sir! that's the place of the wiley ol' blackie! I'll post up a refresher pic!

and Lily, I'm spoiled now! if it ain't digital - it just isn't worth the effort (snob! :p )

I'll post some Old pics from last year to give you a feel for the area.

This was a monster double retrieve from last year hunting over the Ocean. We were after see ducks and Mergs! by the time he came in with the first, you might as well double it for the second with the outgoing tidal current!

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
view from the backside of a hedgerow blind...

Kid: here's a pic of those special dekes! three man limit of blacks and mallards... over seaweed..... in a hay field !

(and I was rewarded for targeting the greeners! even picked up some bling!) ;)

(notice how bad the salt water is on the gear! instant rust!)

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and here's another pic of the infamous black duck decoy

rigged out on tidal flat this time!

·
Registered
11,793 Posts
Branta said:
and here's another pic of the infamous black duck decoy

rigged out on tidal flat this time!

i see you rigged for the high pressure birds with a small 5 block spread.... :lol: :lol: :lol: seriously, thats awesome, wish we could pull that here, save me from constantly buying decoys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts