Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strongly considering a diy hunt on public land somewhere in IL. I'll probably go the last week of October and try to grab an airbnb. I'm doing some preliminary online research and finally got past the sticker shock for non res tags. Anyone have any info or experiences you'd like to share? Obviously I'm not looking for specific spots, I'd just like to hear if its worth the price of admission. Pms are welcome.. Southern IN is also an option but I think I might find less pressure in IL.

Appreciate any insight!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Strongly considering a diy hunt on public land somewhere in IL. I'll probably go the last week of October and try to grab an airbnb. I'm doing some preliminary online research and finally got past the sticker shock for non res tags. Anyone have any info or experiences you'd like to share? Obviously I'm not looking for specific spots, I'd just like to hear if its worth the price of admission. Pms are welcome.. Southern IN is also an option but I think I might find less pressure in IL.

Appreciate any insight!
Im also kicking around going there as well and just sleeping in the back of my truck. Seems its ok there on most public hunting areas.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had a topper on my truck I would consider doing the same at least for short trips. I've found some airbnbs for as low as $50/night which would be worth it to me for the hot daily showers, doing laundry and cooking meals. I'm getting soft as I get older.

I camped in a tent last weekend while exploring some public ground and I don't think I could do it for more than 3 days...maybe more if I had a blow up mattress of some sorts.

Feel free to PM me if you're going the last week of October and we can compare notes.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I hunted A piece of public called jim edgar/ panther creek probably ten years ago. What we learned was 1) go after they cut the corn. Huge fields and the pressure pushed the deer in them. So they where nocturnal for the most part. 2) lots of scouting. We found treestands everywhere. Residents can leave them up all season. It was hard to find a place that wasn't hunted. I used a climber for the most part. 3) plan on going for more than one week. Tough to be successful at a new spot in a week. 4) avoid the weekends. And small game hunters.
If I had to do it again I would spend the extra and hunt private land of some sorts. The price of the tags are high and public is to iffy to be successful, at least from my perspective. The southern part of the state may be different tho, a lot more public down there.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
If you are looking at the NW part of the state, I can offer some pretty specific info on a parcel I hunted for a number of years, up until two years ago. Otherwise, I don't have much advice other than hunt Tues-Fri if at all possible.

·
Registered
261 Posts
True in every way. I went to college in morgam County and hunted Panther Creek for many years and hard to deer hunt it with all the small game hunter, but it can be done if you hunt during the week.
I hunted A piece of public called jim edgar/ panther creek probably ten years ago. What we learned was 1) go after they cut the corn. Huge fields and the pressure pushed the deer in them. So they where nocturnal for the most part. 2) lots of scouting. We found treestands everywhere. Residents can leave them up all season. It was hard to find a place that wasn't hunted. I used a climber for the most part. 3) plan on going for more than one week. Tough to be successful at a new spot in a week. 4) avoid the weekends. And small game hunters.
If I had to do it again I would spend the extra and hunt private land of some sorts. The price of the tags are high and public is to iffy to be successful, at least from my perspective. The southern part of the state may be different tho, a lot more public down there.
Sent from my SM-N976V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have hunted So IL public a lot the last three years. I stay in a camper so can't offer much help on the AirBnB but would be happy to answer other questions via PM. Pressure is usually not bad the last week of October, but gets heavier into November. I'll echo WMU, hunt Tues-Fri if possible. Weekends see an uptick of local pressure as well as out of state guys that make the drive Friday night (Alabama, Kentucky, etc)

Reactions: thill

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I hate to say it but I pulled the plug on an out of state hunt this year. I am committed to a spring scouting trip next year with the intentions of a fall hunt in IL.

I lost traction when I tried to recruit a couple of friends. They balked at the price of tags for IL, and lodging in IN and I'm not comfortable with 3 guys in my small 24' camper with covid going around. If I went solo this year I know half the trip would be scouting. I have good spots in MI and time was winding down on my trip. Paralysis by analysis....

I appreciate all the help and PMs and will create a 2021 thread before or shortly after my spring scouting trip.

Good luck to all of you this season!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Good luck next season thill!
IL2020.jpg
We lucked in to a couple last week!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yes, public. He was with a bigger buck but I could not get a clean shot. Hopefully he makes it to next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eyecon
1 - 13 of 13 Posts