Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would it be?

I think I would have to choose whitetails. I've been to Canada a couple times and out west as well but for me, there is still nothing like northern MI whitetail hunting. I love the fall woods. While I've never harvested a monster whitetail up there and probably never will, I still love going up to the cabin and look forward to every deer season.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I went on my first elk hunt last year and it was amazing, everything I ever thoguht it would be and more.

But I couldnt wait even more for deer season to start. I had to be out of town for buisness this year so I missed alot of the leaf drop. Usually im in the woods and that is a magical time of year.

Plus there isnt anything going to eat me in the MI dark woods! lol

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Alaskan Brown Bear! Always has been my dream hunt. I just need to come up with $20,000 and a guide that runs slower than I do!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I love chasing whitetails and elk and caribou and hogs and ...

However, if the Good Lord said, "Arch, I will allow you good health to hunt until you're 110 years old, but the catch is you can hunt only one animal/species. The choice is yours."

I think I would have to choose turkeys. I just love the challenge, their antics, and the country they dwell in. Along the way to finding them I'm sure I would see elk, hogs, and deer.

Tough to think about!

God bless, Arch.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Arch, I will allow you good health to hunt until you're 110 years old, but the catch is you can hunt only one animal/species. The choice is yours."
Arch - That was a well thought out context in which to describe which animal you'd choose ...;) Turkeys is a good one. I know a lot of people would pick turkeys but that choice didn't even cross my mind. Good choice!

·
Registered
196 Posts
There is no animal that gets me so excited in the tree stand than a whitetail buck, no matter what size as long as I know it has horns the adrenaline rush hits every time, the best feeling in the world.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Well, I truely LOVE hunting whitetails with bow, shotgun and muzzle-loader, but my lab is coming into his prime (almost 4 1/2 y/o). Not wanting to give up my time afield with him, I guess I'd have to say birds. Force me to narrow it down even further, than it would be ducks, but I'd sure miss everything else.

Al

·
Premium Member
6,344 Posts
I think I'll stick with the whitetail.
IF I'm rabbit hunting,turkey hunting,partridge,coyote or whatever I'm always noticing deer sign and thinking if it's a good place to set up for a deer hunt or not.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:) I do the same thing Airoh no matter when I'm in the woods up north. Even in the summer when I am trout fishing back in the swamp, I'm always looking for new spots for stand locations.

·
Registered
235 Posts
well i have to think of the time i spend with my hunting dogs and would have to pick bear over cats theres so much more time afield with bear hunting sure deer and turkey and small game is fun but theres no challange in them like there is in bear hunting

Chuck if you want something to eat you in the woods of michigan there up here in the upper and i dont mean the bears the scarest animal ive ever incounterd in the woods is a wolf after being stalked by one i wont go in the woods without a gun chuck i have to tell you i am a avid bear hunter and get up close and personal with them and i hunt them with a video camrea most of the time but sence the wolves have become over populated in the UP i carry a gun all the time

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whitedog - I have had a little experience with wolves while moose hunting in Ontario. We were in an area that had not been hunted period for 15 years and there were a TON of wolves around that showed absolutely no fear of us.

One afternoon while back at the camp, I took a little walk with my bow down an old logging trail not far from the camp. I figured I had gone about far enough and turned around and headed back. While walking back, I had that "funny feeling". The "bush" (as they call it) seemed extraordinarily quiet for a few moments and I stopped to look around. I stood there for about a minute or so looking into the brush and so on about 15 feet off the trail. Suddenly, I realized that what had caught my eye was two eyes looking back at me. I leaned in to get a better look and it was a wolf. I slowly stood up and turned and looked behind. Not 20 yards behind was another - a beautiful all black one, sitting on the trail in much the same way a dog does and he was just staring at me as well.

I had no idea they were around nor did I know for how long they had been watching me. But I did figure out in a hurry I wasn't real comfortable with the whole deal (although it was exciting) and I yelled a little bit and clapped my hands a few times and they slowly moved away - but they were definitely not spooked off - they took their time.

The whole trip up there for that hunt was just an awesome experience and the daily wolf sightings were a real treat. But I have to admit, that little experience kind of sent shivers down my spine. :eek: I walked back down that trail a LOT faster than I had walked it earlier. ;)

Chuck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ed, I would guess if I could only hunt one species from here till my end, I would probably pick whitetails, I have hunted them from New Hampshire to North Dakota and many points in between as well as Alalbama to the South.

I can bowhunt them for almost 6 months a year depending on the latitude and never tire of the varied panaramas of their habitiat from boreal forest to the high plains of the near west and into the Rocky mountain foothills to the arid desert of the Southwest

Yup, my pick is whitetails. I can chase them with one of my trusty Robertson longbows in hand and a handful of cedars in quiver till I can hunt no more.

But, I'm darn glad I'm not limited to just Whitails. I've still got other critters I'd like to hunt yet!

Greg Darling

·
Registered
235 Posts
ibow-chuck who ever you are sounds like you had a great hunt for moose with a touch of excitment i have been doing a lot of research on wolf attacks in north america inclueding canada and you would be surprised on how many and how resent these attacks are booked the first thing i did was do a search through google for wolf attacks and man the sites sure did pop up for info on wolf attacks and there was many cases where the person/s where killed and eatin i am going to put together a list of them and put them in news pappers across michigan hopefully by this comeing fall i feel the state of michigan isnt telling the public the truth about the wolves here there just telling us what they want us to think and its roung i am hopeing and prayin that no one ges killed up here cause they where missinforumed about the wolves and there fast raisein numbers in michigan upper michigan isnt as big and wild as some mite think there isnt anywhere up here to walk for ten miles with out crossing a cabin or a house the up is cut full of 2track roads and theres people livein or at least spending a lot of time in the woods and its bound to happen one of these days in your case you where lucky but lets say you had fallin and got hurt while these wolves where sizein you up do you think you could have been dinner for them i believe your chance of bein eatin would have been great i believe the social carrying capacity of wolves in michigan are way above where they should be and the habitat capacity is over loaded with them as well well as you mite have gottin it i hate the useless things as my fore fathers did and could ramble on about how useless they are here so i will go and surf through the site have a great day

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I can't say I have a lot of experience with wolves. That week up there in Ontario was the extent of it.

I will say that I was probably a little naive, but I have to admit all the wolf sightings that week added a great deal to the "atmosphere" and "aura" of the hunt (for lack of a better term). It was quite a thing to experience for someone who had never seen them before. I guess if they got out of hand it could be a problem.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I saw some Timber Wolves while hunting Bear in the White River Ontario are but what really suprised me was the number of red fox I saw at night while driving back to my camp. There was several along the highway on the rocky ledges. I would actually see 5-10 in a short 100 yard stretch.:)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Of course bow hunting deer is exciting but I know that as soon as I call in a coyote, that will be the new thing for me!

Hunt with your kids, not for them. (I saw it on a bumper sticker)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Pheasants! There's nothing better than a cold fall morning with frost on the leaves and Brittanies running the hedgerow.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Morels.

·
Banned
4,176 Posts
I'd have to say that if I could only hunt one animal, it would have to be whitetails. Like Chuck, hunting in the area that I do does not give me the opportunity to see many monsters, but that doesn't really matter to me. I just love the process, spending time at my cabin, the preparation, the anticipation, all of it.

Having said that, My DREAM hunt would have to be hunting whitetails with my daughter (now 7). Being there when she takes her first whitetail will surley be something special for me. I think I'd trade all mine for that one.

KPC

1 - 20 of 35 Posts