Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 40 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
I'm supposed to pass on that one hard earned deer because I don't believe the state has the interest or capacity to properly dictate what a legal deer is in order to keep the herd healthy? Hunters should do exactly what the state regulations allow them to do, that is the point of regulations. .
I would expect you and any other hunters to realize that shooting 50% of the deer you see is counterproductive to the goal of bettering the deer herd. The DNR puts regulations in place as limits. They are not forcing you to shoot a deer.

·
Registered
20,898 Posts
Anything to get rid of APRs right

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Its the truth, why would Sportsmen protect the deer that present the greatest risk of spreading the disease.

And older bucks have the highest prevalance, increasing that isnt a great idea either.

The should make ALL tags generic deer tags statewide......For the health of the herd

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
Its the truth, why would Sportsmen protect the deer that present the greatest risk of spreading the disease.

And older bucks have the highest prevalance, increasing that isnt a great idea either.

The should make ALL tags generic deer tags statewide......For the health of the herd

Good luck with that guy! I still can’t believe how clueless you are after all this time.

Let’s eliminate all whitetail bucks from the MI deer herd so everyone wants to go out deer hunting!
Smh

It would be like trying to ride a bike with no wheels!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Good luck with that guy! I still can’t believe how clueless you are after all this time.

Let’s eliminate all whitetail bucks from the MI deer herd so everyone wants to go out deer hunting!
Smh

It would be like trying to ride a bike with no wheels!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
When all the deer are dead the DNR will celebrate being the first state to completely eradicate CWC

·
Registered
440 Posts

But allow baiting right? Since that is on your agenda even though it could be a spreading factor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I would expect you and any other hunters to realize that shooting 50% of the deer you see is counterproductive to the goal of bettering the deer herd. The DNR puts regulations in place as limits. They are not forcing you to shoot a deer.
I'm gonna guess that you hunt private land? If you are working hard for limited deer sightings on public land and then passing on a legal animals with hopes of "bettering the deer herd" then you either like horns more than meat, or have more faith in the guy down the ridge than I do.

Until I posted this I had no idea how many guys thought that game laws should be made to rely on the general public's discretion and good faith. Has anyone seen the state of the general public lately? Already finding rifle shot spikes left laying in the woods just from the combo tag change this year. Can't imagine how many stupid button bucks got killed over the last couple weeks. Yet here we are, professing our faith in the pipe dream of libertarian game management and quibbling about APRs and bait.

Y'all better cross your fingers you dont loose that private land access, because you're living in a state that doesn't give two squirts about the quality of its public land hunting.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
I'm gonna guess that you hunt private land? If you are working hard for limited deer sightings on public land and then passing on a legal animals with hopes of "bettering the deer herd" then you either like horns more than meat, or have more faith in the guy down the ridge than I do.

Until I posted this I had no idea how many guys thought that game laws should be made to rely on the general public's discretion and good faith. Has anyone seen the state of the general public lately? Already finding rifle shot spikes left laying in the woods just from the combo tag change this year. Can't imagine how many stupid button bucks got killed over the last couple weeks. Yet here we are, professing our faith in the pipe dream of libertarian game management and quibbling about APRs and bait.

Y'all better cross your fingers you dont loose that private land access, because you're living in a state that doesn't give two squirts about the quality of its public land hunting.
75% of my hunting is on public land. The other 25% is spent hunting a 10 acre wooded lot or a with a farmer in late season taking does(you can do this too. Most would even offer to let you use their management permits.)

We live in a State where many won't accept personal responsibility for what has happened. I understand that my actions can directly impact the deer herd and as such I don't grind away on land devoid of deer, shoot the only deer I see and then complain about lack of deer.

I am a proponent of education over regulations. It may take longer to properly educate, but once done we will have better control over the deer herd instead of relaying on thebl state

21 - 40 of 129 Posts