Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was I the only one that seemed to be having no breaks all last week.

Opening eve I had a nice 6 and an 8 point walk out from my right. They were only about 15 yards out with the 8 point standing behind a cedar tree all I needed was one more step. Not to be however, he walked straight away. No shot.

The next night I have a doe and 2 fawns come out they seemed a little nervous when I hear a grunt. In comes that 6 point to about 15 yards broadside. The doe would not stop looking in my direction. No shot. Later that night I have a different 8 and a 6 walk out from behind me. Light is fading fast and when the 8 finally comes out I draw back but cannot see him well enough through my peep to let the arrow go. So I let up and it walks off.

The next morning I had a big doe coming by my stand. I thought one for the freezer. The wind was really cranking and my climbing sticks were making noise. Off she goes. No shot.

The next night a spike comes in to about 15 yards but only offers a head on shot. A no go for me. He turns and walks off.

All that being said I count myself lucky to have seen so many deer but it's frustrating. This is by far the most bucks I have seen bow hunting this area since 1986. I LOVE BOWHUNTING! :)

·
Registered
35,261 Posts
Thanks for not taking a bad angle shot. That says alot about your character. There's been alot of posting on wounded deer, I'm glad your not one of them.

This statement is not made in disrespect any of the hunters who have posted on wounding and not recovering a deer. Misguided shots happen but bad angle shots can be prevented.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i wouldnt get down,matter of fact i would be very optimistic about your spot,when you tag that wallhanger,you will forget all about the start of this year,ive been bowhunting 25 years and believe me, you will have alot of things go wrong and alot that can even things out right. now go get em!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Last night I saw 4 2.5 year old bucks in the same sit. That is above and beyond what a normal Opening weekend normally brings out. Guess the food plots are working. Closest one, 45 yards, completely oblivious to my presence and slightly quartering away. Too bad it wasn't 10 yards closer, it was the biggest 8 I've ever seen in the field.:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts