Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just went out and tried a few small ponds by my house that never get fished. I know that they have fish because during the summer I have seen a few good bass come out of them. They are a good six to eight feet deep and are not spring fed. The water was so clear that I could see a good five feet down I was making my move around the ice trying to find the fish when I had my fishing poll pulled down into the hole. I did get a good laugh. Overall I didn’t have much success but I’m wondering…if I’m fishing for bluegills then I shouldn’t be using minnows right? It should be something like wax worms? In the end I was using minnows that were a good 2-3 inches long and the action was slow. One more thing I was pulling weed up from the bottom when I was checking how deep the water was.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Yup, waxworms and spikes for the gills and sunnies...You probably had a bass pull your pole into the water. I got 6 out of a small pond yesterday up to 16". Usually they're pretty dormant during the winter but you still get a few on early ice...Spikes stay on the hook a lot better than waxworms so I would go with spikes. I like two spikes on the hook at once but once the bite gets tough you have to go to one spike and downsize your teardrop...Hope this helps...:)

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Althought blue gills will bite on minnows every now and then...wax worms, mousies, and spikes on small size 12 tear drops seem to be a really good place to start.

Lite line in clear shallow water like 2lb test could also be crucial.

And light action bobbers...i've noticed that since I started using bobbers I have seen more strikes than normal...The springs don't seem to pick up all the strikes.

And bass will eat waxies..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts