Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if any one has any ideas on what to make good skies on my shanty out of!!1

Greeneman5

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
last year i tried some gutters that i had and they worked good but didnt last through the season. this year i am still looking for a pair of cross country skis to use.

·
Registered
823 Posts
IMO and experience, it depends on whether you will be pulling the shanty by hand or by machine. When pulling a shanty (such as a fish trap) by machine, the skis or sled area will receive a much higher degree of pounding from the ice. Therefore, structure your shanty skis as appropriate. I always thought it was a good idea to have wooden skis covered with galvanized sheet metal and I have used this approach in the past.

In saying this however... I pull an otter sled with a machine, I have thought I should add two or three metal "runners" to the front but as of yet I have not done this and the plastic otter seems to be holding-up failry well (going on six years now).

The big equation... the balance between durability and weight.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Last year I seen a shanty that a guy mounted a old small boat trailer on the side. When he had it up right in fishing mode it looked like a TV antena on the side:) But if he wanted to move it all he did is tip it on its side hook it up to his 4 wheeler and off he went. Looked and worked pretty cool.

chad1

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Just finished building my new sled and put some skis on from the salvation army store on 8 mile and mound rd. They had one other pair for 10 bucks,well worth it IMO, works like a charm. AL:D

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
i used conduit for mine just drill 3/4 in hole in bottom of shante frame without going trough bend to match with holes wieght of shante keeps it on runners if your going to be in deep snow make them longer at bend you can get a 10 ft piecs for couple bucks

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have a shanty just like the one that you had on Chemung last year. I mounted an old pair of snow skis to it and it pulls like a dream, even in deep snow. It's still up in the top of the garage. If I can get some pics of it , I'll post them.....Patch

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,142 Posts
Call your local ski area and talk to the Ski Patrol.

I'm on the patrol at Mt Holly and we always have a bunch of skis left over from our annual ski swap. When people dont come to pick up the equipment that doesn't sell....its destined for the dumpster (or fishing shanties !!). I think we still have a few dozen pairs left over. I'll check on Wed night.

Ski shops always have some headed for the dumpster too.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Fiji,

If you could, please let me know about the ski's. I'm looking to make up two sleds. One for here at home and one to leave at the cottage up north so I'm in need of two sets.

Also, I have a six year old daughter that is looking forward to learning to down hill this year but I'm hard pressed to buy her a new set, not to mention she's going through growing spurts right now so I'm sure even if I did she be out of them next year.

Suggestion: If you can get the skis (cheap or even free) and there are M-S members interested in them that you ask that a donation be made to this site in return for the ski's? Just a thought, let me know.

Thanks in advance! - Burksee

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Burksee, the salvation army store on 8mile and mound had a set for 10 bucks, if you want I will swing by and pick them up for you. AL~~~~~><> ps I am leaving work today at noon because of car problems. If you want call me on my cell after 12 noon. 313-980-6561 AL:D

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Al,

Thanks for the offer, After I your post about the SA store. I was going to look at the SA stores around here. I'm not in that big of hurry that I need them today. Fiji is out in my neck of the woods so I'll take my chances and wait and see what he say's.

Thanks again! - Burksee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts