Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions or history with what to plant in a traditionally wet wooded area with heavy soil that would create security cover for deer? The area is just over an acre and is a naturally wet area with occasional standing water during heavy rain and snow melts. Between the consistently wet soil conditions and tall mature trees creating quite a large amount of shade, there just isn't much that grows. Even though it may be the right answer, I am not really interested in cutting the mature trees in this area to open the canopy up.

Creating security cover in this semi-open area is my main objective. Any thoughts on specific shrubs, alders, or willows that are shade tolerant, spread as they grow, and would thrive in wet conditions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adler will tolerate some shade. I think winter berry will also.
Thank you Stickman, appreciate the help! I will definitely look into the winter berry as I had not considered that one yet.
The alder seems like a great option also and I am hoping that speckled alder will withstand transplanting. There are quite a few growing in areas that I have access to. Planning on digging a few up and seeing if they will grow in the wet shaded area.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
The fact that nothing is growing there naturally is a big red flag IMO. Probably have to get some more sun in there. Good luck, hope you find something that works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts