Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I bought a crew cab F-150 this past summer for more room for kids/car seats, however its a short box. I've never had to deal with how I am going to fit my shanty. I know they make bed extensions, but they're pricey. Does anyone have any good ideas/advice on how to haul their shanty/other gear in a short box? I usually haul my shanty in my trailer behind the 4 wheeler when heading to the bay, but for winter trips im not hauling the trailer just for a shanty if I dont have to.

I appreciate it. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Hey guys,

I bought a crew cab F-150 this past summer for more room for kids/car seats, however its a short box. I've never had to deal with how I am going to fit my shanty. I know they make bed extensions, but they're pricey. Does anyone have any good ideas/advice on how to haul their shanty/other gear in a short box? I usually haul my shanty in my trailer behind the 4 wheeler when heading to the bay, but for winter trips im not hauling the trailer just for a shanty if I dont have to.

I appreciate it. Thanks guys
Don't worry about it this year. You got the rest of winter and all summer to think of a way since there will be no ice this season. It's my fault anyways as sureshot006 knows, not lol.

·
Super Moderator
37,508 Posts
The truck has tie down points near the front corners. put a ratchet strap from each corner down around the open tailgate to the trailer chain eye on the hitch reciever.

One more from the left eye, up and over the tailgate and shanty, back down to the right eye for good measure, if you are do inclined.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I’m in the same boat,

I put and “eye” bolt into the front of my otter tub, and opened up the eye just enough to slip a ratchet strap strapping thru, then hooked the ends on both sides(rear) of my GMC, tailgate is down, haven’t had an issue yet.
I tried strapping it down with the tailgate up, but it was like a sail, killed my mpg’s and rubbed the fabric, no bueno!

edit- that eye bolt goes thru the tub and thru the aluminum rail that the seats sit on, I use it also to hang from the rafters in off season. Like now

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Me?
Last season I ran a quad on a utility trailer, no room for shanty. Had to put shanty in truck, hassle, had to unload it to be able to pick it up most of the time.
That’s how I ended up with the eye bolt tie down.

this year Quad and utility trailer gone, snowmobile and shanty ride in a cargo trailer together, just enough room.

·
Super Moderator
35,305 Posts
Me?
Last season I ran a quad on a utility trailer, no room for shanty. Had to put shanty in truck, hassle, had to unload it to be able to pick it up most of the time.
That’s how I ended up with the eye bolt tie down.

this year Quad and utility trailer gone, snowmobile and shanty ride in a cargo trailer together, just enough room.
I meant to the OP. I thought he was eliminating the trailer altogether. Maybe still hauling the ATV with the trailer then leaving the trailer in the lot.

Tying the shanty down shouldnt be a big deal at all... heck ok road trips we stack 2-3 shanties high in the bed lol. One angled onto the tailgate shouldnt be a problem.

Or get a hub and a smaller jet sled that fits in the truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts