Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,768 Posts
After reading this thread I had to look up "Delmonico steak".

Ultimately, the Delmonico steak is as much myth as it is a specific cut of steak. If it's a thick, good quality steak from the rib or short loin, you could call it a Delmonico. Delmonico's Restaurant is still in business, and on their menu, the Delmonico steak is a boneless ribeye.

·
Premium Member
9,016 Posts
It's been too many years for me to remember it but pork chops have always been my favorite. I was a thumb sucker as a young boy and family used to ask me what it tasted like. I always yelled PORK CHOPS!

I still get some crap over that today. Most people over cook chops and don't know how to pick the best one out of the meat counter. I'd never buy chops from Kroger's or a chain store. That's a local butcher stop.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
My favorites are thick cut butcher shop Ribeyes, done on my grill. Second are pork ribs done low and slow on my Treager grill. Pretty much anything done on the Treager is fantastic IMO. DID a pork roast last Sunday on the Treager. Came out fantastic.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Not a pork chop kind of guy. Ribeye or Delmonico, when it comes to steak. We always buy Delmonico for fish camp. Barbecue an extra on steak night. Cut it up with whats left from dinner, for tacos's the next night. Best taco's you'll ever eat.
How do I get an invite to that camp? Lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
NY strips go to the dogs.

I'll take a ribeye every time
You're buying your strips from the wrong place, then. I go rib eye first, 2nd choice is ny strip. Had one last week from Drummonds since it was the only steak in the counter thick enough to suit me, it was grand. Then I followed it up with a rib eye from Frank's(they called it a delmonico, what the?) Also a great steak.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Pork steak over chops any day. I won't eat chops.
I recently discovered pork steak. Was at a farmers market and asked for chops. The farmer said he was out of chops but handed me a pork steak and said if I gave that a try I’d never ask him for chops again. He might be right!

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,201 Posts
You're buying your strips from the wrong place, then. I go rib eye first, 2nd choice is ny strip. Had one last week from Drummonds since it was the only steak in the counter thick enough to suit me, it was grand. Then I followed it up with a rib eye from Frank's(they called it a delmonico, what the?) Also a great steak.

Porterhouse steaks are bomb, if you get a good one. For me I want mine cut farther down towards the sirloin where the large side is wider. Hate when they trim them!

·
Premium Member
3,431 Posts
To all of you that love ribeye, try a rib cap steak. They're hard to find, but you could always order online. One of the best things ever.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Not me. If I want grilled pork, it's whole tenderloins, sometimes wrapped in bacon, sometimes not, sliced into 1-1/2" cuts at the table. That will give a steak a run for its money.
^^^We've been buying the pork tender loin from Meijer pre-seasoned slow cook on the grill, slice with some uncle ben's rice and apple sauce.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
From the CDC site on Tric

"Trichinellosis used to be more common and was usually caused by ingestion of undercooked pork. However, infection is now relatively rare. During 2011–2015, 16 cases were reported per year on average. The number of cases decreased beginning in the mid-20th century because of legislation prohibiting the feeding of raw-meat garbage to hogs, commercial and home freezing of pork, and the public awareness of the danger of eating raw or undercooked pork products. Cases are less commonly associated with pork products and more often associated with eating raw or undercooked wild game meats."
There was a restraunt called the Mule Foot in Imlay City that served an obscenely large Tomahawk chop that they cooked to the doneness you wanted. I had it medium rare; it was delicious. The staff basically said no trich in pork anymore?!

61 - 77 of 77 Posts