Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,735 Posts
4-6 inches of ice out of the park where you pay the neighbor lady $3 to park. I spudded out to 8 fow. It was only me and another pair of guys in a shanty. They left an hour and half before sun down. I could have went farther out but, being my first time ice fishing the bay and being solo

I decided against it. Caught zero fish and marked zero fish on the garmin. Nice day to be out though. Sun came out for the last hour. Good day to not have a shanty.

Took m-13 up to South Bay city before I headed east. Bunch of people fishing the river. I’m sure this weekend will be a zoo/circus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanjs for report.. 😀 They musta raised it this year a $1. Surprised there's no fish. You may have been too deep fir perch, but should have seen an eye or 2.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
4-6 inches of ice out of the park where you pay the neighbor lady $3 to park. I spudded out to 8 fow. It was only me and another pair of guys in a shanty. They left an hour and half before sun down. I could have went farther out but, being my first time ice fishing the bay and being solo

I decided against it. Caught zero fish and marked zero fish on the garmin. Nice day to be out though. Sun came out for the last hour. Good day to not have a shanty.

Took m-13 up to South Bay city before I headed east. Bunch of people fishing the river. I’m sure this weekend will be a zoo/circus.

Where exactly is that?

Thanks for report!!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Thanjs for report.. They musta raised it this year a $1. Surprised there's no fish. You may have been too deep fir perch, but should have seen an eye or 2.
I started in 3 ft than went out deeper from there. I didn’t mark a thing on my striker
4 ice pack. I actually did put a hole in with a depth of 1.5ft of water but, decided nah no way I catch I fish in 1.5 ft of water. But, maybe I should have.

·
Registered
528 Posts
That big open hole by Standish is froze over now. There were 3' rollers in it yesterday. This week will hopefully seal it up.

Same here , The open water now has a thin layer of ice and a thick layer of snow. Can't tell what's good or bad.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How heavy of a jighead do you use in the winter on the river? I know it likely varies with current etc but what is a good starting point?

·
Premium Member
30,735 Posts
How heavy of a jighead do you use in the winter on the river? I know it likely varies with current etc but what is a good starting point?
1/4 most of the time. No stinger unless really big minnows. I'll run hook down throat and come up out back. Perch minnows work great too. Don't need a big minnow all the time. 😉

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Do you want the minnow alive and wiggling when dead sticking? or just thread him on the hook?

·
Premium Member
6,493 Posts
Do you want the minnow alive and wiggling when dead sticking? or just thread him on the hook?

I hook mine so it's alive and swimming around some. Some days the dead stick will catch most of the fish, some days it won't even get a nibble.
Most of the perch I catch walleye fishing will come on the dead stick as well

·
Registered
327 Posts
does anyone use fireball jigs with bottom eye for stinger in river? Only reason I ask, I have a whole plano box full, they are powder coated think they are 1/4 to 5/8 Maybe 100..Thanks

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
does anyone use fireball jigs with bottom eye for stinger in river? Only reason I ask, I have a whole plano box full, they are powder coated think they are 1/4 to 5/8 Maybe 100..Thanks
Yup, those will work just fine. Tie your stinger on that bottom eye and you're all set.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts