Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wondering if anyone has been out in Oakland County on the ice. Want to get out and set some muskrat sets under the ice.
Trying to save a 80 mile round trip. Any information on whether the ice is safe yet to walk on? Some ponds in Western Oakland county. Nothing nearby to check it out on.
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I was just out on some swamps in Oakland County today, it was about 7 degrees today so all standing water is pretty well frozen. Only the rivers and streams have unsafe ice. There's also about 1-2 inches of snow on top of it so theres plenty of traction.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
seen a spearing shanty set up with a 6"block of ice next to it.
That said I would use caution , wear a life jacket and carry ice picks. Many of the waters in the area contain springs.Beware of any wet snow. Talking from experience, fell thought once and my feet never hit bottom. Was lucky enough to pop out using my spud as a brace and done the belly crawl to safe ice. Temp was 0 with two foot of ice on the main lake.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Did not want to drive all that way and carry my gear. Trying to save nickels:lol:
Matt

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Been crawling around on ice for rats for over a week now. Southern Wayne county, northern monroe

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Yeah I have a few.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts