Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a clam nanook and dont really care for it so i was thinking of buying a shappell 300dx, clam 2000, frabill refuge or the HT 2 man which looks pretty nice. They all pretty much in same price range just curious if anyone has any likes or dislikes for a particular model thanks.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Had a Shappell 3000Dx. It is a decent shanty if light is your biggest buying criteria. On the other hand it is pretty narrow so you have to fish short rods and is not very roomy with two decent size guys in it. It is also a pain in the neck to pull if there is snow on the ice. If you get one I recommend rigging it on some raised skis or something else to get it up off the snow. I would highly recommend my current shanty if you don't mind a little weight. I use a Shappell Rover 2.0. It is an awesome shanty and even the weight isn't too bad. I pull mine by hand and I'm a fat out of shape kind of guy. Plenty of room for two guys and all your gear. The flip style just gives more fishing room IMO. Check it out.

·
Registered
798 Posts
you know Gatorman, it really is a personal choice that needs to be based on the type or style of fishing you do. I have a Shappel that is similar to the DX and wished I had a two man clam type that I could pull over me. Everything packs into the sled and off you go. The versitlity on the ice is what sell this for me. The Shappel is light weight but doens not cotton well for running and gunning in my humble opinion. Setting this shanty up in the wind by yourself can be cumbersome too.

I do like taking the Shappel out of the back of my Exped by myself though compared to a heavy clam type but for me it would be worth the trade off. The bass boat style seats that come with some of these shanties are a huge plus for me too. Comfort + Mobility on the ice out weigh small and compact for me.

Again, it's a personal choice that I am sure price point plays a huge factor in. There are a lot of shanties out there and am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for"....

Good luck on your hunt and let us know what you ended up with and how you like it...:D

Best regards,
Lyle

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I hear the otter is great...but I just bought a 2-man Frabill trekker DLX and just love it!! The seats are VERY comfortable and they can be removed in seconds. Also works out great when my Son can't make it out with me I can just slide the seat in the middle and leave the other one at home! The clam style sets up in seconds and is very durable. All hardware is very sturdy...I believe much more durable than the clam! I am VERY HAPPY with this purchase!! We looked at the Nanook at Gander mountain and the guy there said for an extra 100 bucks...we could get the Frabil and he showed us the difference and I am glad we spent the extra money...just for the seats alone, let alone the better hardware!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have the clam 2000, works good for me and one of my kids. But like mentioned above, I built a "sled" to help pull it and gear easier in the snow, up/down ramps and the parking lot. Am thinking of getting a flip over for solo fishing and the 2000 is not easy to move around alot, unless there is no or very little snow you can drag it set-up.
Best bet might be to visit a store with alot of them set up and play with'em! Good luck and tight lines.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
i would trade my shappell dx4000 any day of the week for a 2 man clam flip style shanty. i have a fish trap pro and i love it. when ever my cousin goes fishing w/ me, im almost pissed because i have to bring the damn shappell. so hard to be mobile w/ one of those damn things... and a windy day? forget about fishing. it plain sucks in a shappell 2 man box style.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Shappell is a Michigan company that makes a great product! They also back up the warranty, and they have parts if you ever need them! Do a little research first. Most shanties are made overseas. Good luck getting parts. I have a rover 2.0 and love it! Had a 3000dx and loved it!

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
i like my shappell 3000dx if i have two people (one of which doesn't have their own shanty) or when stealth is a prime concern, or when spearing the perch.

i also have a trap pro that is my everyday shanty. i like it, though i think some of the newer versions (frabill, otter, shappell, and clam) are better than the model i have.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
otter has a great sled for a base...even after i sold my 2 man otter i went back and bought one of their sleds for a pack sled. you could mount a scratcher on that thing.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Trekker dlx. its way better than the nanook i checked them both of them out better seats that swivel and remove easy. its easier to pull thru the snow also.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Frabills tent material straight up blows!!!! The tent is the main thing seperating you from the outside,and probably the most expensive one to replace. If they used their 600 or 900 denier material on everything I would buy from them. Half of them use 300 d they rip easy and are super flappy in the wind. I got clam stuff , but would've bought otter first if I wasn't pulling by hand! just from my experience

·
Registered
158 Posts
i went with the refuge and put raised ski's on it. sets up in the livingroom nicely, just need to take it out on the ice.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey the Frabil Trekker uses the 300 d material but the trekker 2 deluxe uses 600 d material and it is a way better built shanty than clams nanook. the seats are not removable in the nanook and the sled is much shallower and not as heavy. The treker is 100 bucks more but way worth the money. Dont cheap out its going to last you a couple years. you dont need a new one every year

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
shapell 2 rover it is awsome check it for sure, i drag by hand it works... deep snow is a pain but you can put skis under it i have had mine for 4 years no problems with it at all

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
What don't you like? It looks like you're leaning towards a box style vs flip?

I used to have one of each, the box was real nice when you knew exactly when/where you needed to be and didn't plan on moving. I sold it.

It was a box kite. Unless you anchored it from all 4 corners you couldn't check tip-ups or even take a leak. I once anchored to an ATV, and it pulled that across the ice. I'd sooner go back to sitting on a bucket unless I was trying to keep a couple kids warm – they do seal up better

1 - 20 of 42 Posts