Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building my own two person portable shanty. I built one last year out of pvc pipe and a blue tarp with a wood bottom. It worked good but did not hold up to the winds one day out on the banana.

I have received a new vynol car cover that I can cut up and use for the covering. But what I need to know is does anyone know where I can get ahold of a old plastic bottom from someone's old shanty or where I can purchase at. Also any idea's for the door. I had my mom sew one on mine last year and it worked pretty good. But when it got really cold it froze up from the condensation from the inside. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, this colder weather has got the blood flowing again:D :D :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
Just an idea.

Maybe you could go to a place that makes custom canvas covers for tractor trailor trucks. They may be able to make you whatever you want.

I think there is a place in Saginaw that does canvas work. I think it is on Tittabawasee Rd.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I talked about building a shanty for a few years to save money. Drew up some plans, priced out materials and considered weight and portability issues.

Finally just said screw it and spent the money and bought a 2 man shappell and I love it! Got the cheap one and spent $200. Sets up with 1 person in no time. Folds up easy. Takes a good beating in the wind. I think after you spend all the time trying to find materials for your second shanty, you would just be better off spending the money and buring one from the store.

You can still find shanties online for $200.

Just my 2 cents, good luck building yours! :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one I built last year cost me $20. I have a job that I can get wood and other materials that are considered scrap. So cost is not a issue. Like I said I have a good plan just need to modify the pvc for metal conduit and would like to get a plastic floor but if need be I can use wood again. It kept me out of wind nicely.

Thanks for the canvas place maybe I'll stop by there the first of November when I'm heading up to rake leaves at the cabin.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
How bout this one. Thor Tarp can make any size or shaped tarp enclosure using any grade of material you want. Then take it into a local shoe repair place and they can sew in a quality grade zipper.

I did this close to 10 years ago and still have the shanty. I used a jet sled for the base and aluminum poles, but those run money.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I used EMT conduit for the shanty I built. 1/2" stood up to one heck of a wind, so much so that the 2x4s I had securing them to the base and to each other broke.

I think I'd go with a wood floor, then use very short pieces of 2x4 as standoffs and use the same EMT conduit as runners. Home Depot will let you use a pipe bender and tubing cutter if you ask nicely. :) Pulls easier than my ice fishing sled that weighs about 1/16 as much and is much smaller.

I built mine for just under $25 all told and had to buy a sheet of OSB for the floor, plus all the conduit. We had scrap 2x4s I used as well as a paint throw I used for the surround and a fly from an old tent I use for the roof. (I'm stylin out there! ;) :D ) I built it more because I couldn't find a shanty that didn't have what I considered to be obvious design flaws. (Hinges that fill with ice and refuse to work, hole covers that won't close, etc, etc, etc.) I fished in several shanties and took note of the good points and bad points of all of them, then designed in the good points and out the bad points.

What I used for a door works well. I simply left the flaps overlap about 6" and put a short sections of velcro (about 4" every foot or so) on each flap. This way, they're not affected by the ice, you can open it at any level to look out without undoing the entire thing, and is easy to open/close with gloves on. :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By golly I think I've got it. I used the wood floor last year and liked it. I'll go ahead and do that. But I just threw it on top of my jet sled and pulled it out then pulled it off and set it up. That worked good. My main question and frustration was with the door. That was the first time I've heard of velcro thing and I think that'll do the trick.:) :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll see you on the ice!!!!!

niner

·
Super Moderator
11,735 Posts
Howdy-

Glad to hear the problems have been solved.

How's about sharing the plans ? :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the plan. The shanty that I'm building is a one man. I'm going to also build and two person by modifying this a little.

The floor: one piece of 3/4 in ply approx 45 x 40.

The covering: I work at a crating and packaging place and we often get cars in to ship overseas. They bring us car covers that are made from vynol and are very strong but light weight and they bring extra. the two that I got have been here for over 5 years so I don't think the shipper is missing it since we stopped doing business with them. I lay it out and cut the corners to get the dimension of 45 x 40 x 60. I then have to sew the corner up together. Leave the sides a little long because I wrap them around 2 x 2's that I fasten down to the plywood.

Bracing: Last year I used 3/4 inch pvc but that didn't hold up in the cold weather. Not so much the wind but the cold froze the joints and broke the elbows. So this year I'm using electrical conduit. Make two square frames for the ends approx 60 x 40 they can be pushed into the corners and for cross braces I'll use two more pieces of conduit that on the ends I attach a U shaped bracked that hold the two end frames apart from each other. It is very sturdy and will hold up to any wind.

Door: As Ruler said I'm going to cut a door out and from the leftover tarp cut a slightly larger one. Sew one side of it on and use the velcro tip to fasten the rest of it on.

I'm not using any runners, I just set it on my jet sled and pull it out like that. It pulls very easy.

As for the cost I'm not really sure if it's cost affective for anyone else. Like I said I work at a packaging company so all the wood, and car cover are no cost to me. the only thing I have in it is the conduit and the velcro.

So if anyone out this winter see's a home made shanty that is silver don't be afraid to stop by and take a look.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I got the new 2 man Shapel on Jan 1 last year for 1/2 off at the Dunhams store. There was a big post in here from last year if you do a search. I also sold my old Shapell for like $40.00 and my net cost for the new one was $50.00. The falcra idea is good, my zipper was what was bad on my old one. It would freeze shut.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts