Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to check things out for myself. Lots of ice but how thick is the question because I didnt test it. The spill way is covered with ice and snow. Geno's was frozen as far as I could see. Did'nt go into metro but I asume the back basins are covered because all the canals off south river rd are frozen with some open patches of water in the usual current spots. The bay next to the dnr launch off south river rd was frozen with open patches of water. If it stays cold up till the 17th the ice may be walkable. Well enough to try the canals anyway.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Thanks for the report. Ill drive by raft/ fairhaven later and get the report for there.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just got a call from a resident up that way and there's foot prints on a canal off M29 near the post office.. Won’t be long now. :woohoo1: :woohoo1:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Well I went and looked, there was ice at the raft, just expanding past the weed bed, about 200 yards or so out. The canals by the raft wfrozen over. At the fair haven Launch there was ice about 150 yards out. With the temp down to the single digits tonight, we should have ice by the weekend!:xzicon_sm

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well, I am pretty sure that he made if back in because I went out on one of my favorite channels tonight in Cass County, MI and there had been a guy out fishing already. His holes were already frozen over with 1/8 of ice and I know he wasn't gone long before I went there. I checked his hole and there was 2 1/2" of ice out there. In my book that is safe enough for me to be on. I am headed out tomorrow morning to slay the gills and I am sure there will be 3" by then with the temps dropping close to the single digits tonight. Good luck and be safe everyone!

Ryan

·
Administrator
26,855 Posts
brianroy6 said:
Well I went and looked, there was ice at the raft, just expanding past the weed bed, about 200 yards or so out. The canals by the raft wfrozen over. At the fair haven Launch there was ice about 150 yards out. With the temp down to the single digits tonight, we should have ice by the weekend!:xzicon_sm
Not only low temps, we also need light to no winds. A heavy wind from the wrong direction will tear it up quick.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
salmonslammer said:
That just froze last night then...It was all open water yesterday when I was down there..
Thier was alot of Ice but patches of open water and it wasnt forzen all the way to metro.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
gills being caught in the canals behind selfridge bait shop.
fishing in the marsh side of metro boat launch did not see what fish being caught.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
double trouble said:
gills being caught in the canals behind selfridge bait shop.
fishing in the marsh side of metro boat launch did not see what fish being caught.
Thx for the tip I'll keep that area in mind for saturday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts