Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Esox, I sure appreciated your reply on the Law Forum. I do how ever have some additional questions.
Do you go right at ice out?
We used to do that on Kent lake, luckily we never got caught. Appearantly we were breaking the law.
Do you sight fish?
Where do you launch? Is it accessible from Harsons Island? I would have to use my small boat and don't want to take a chance running across from Fair Haven or across an ice choked North Channel.
Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
38,021 Posts
Shoeman, I usually launch at the mouth of the Clinton, the foot of S. River road. I used to launch in Muscamoot in the spring, bit lil' oot' has hardly any water in it. It's about a 5.75 mile run to Muscamoot from the Clinton, and about 4.75 mi to Strawberry Is. I can make that run in my 17'9" boat a whole lot faster than I can drive anywhere near there (Palms Rd., Algonac etc.). As far as timing, the action starts right at ice out, and continues right thru mid/late May. I generally sight fish in the afternoon (you can't spend too much on good shades). If I'm out in the A.M.,or if it's cloudy I might try Jerkbaits in the deeper water adjacent to the flats. The fish tend to move deeper in the low light conditions, and come up into the bays to pick up some sun. Start your search in the N.E. part of the bays, the prevaling winds stack up the warm water there, and the afternoon sun works on it during the warmest part of the day. Right after ice out dark muddy bottoms are best, and as the water warms, the fish will tend to relate to emerging weeds. Ice flows can be a bit of a problem if you are pushing it early, just use your common sense. I usually wont venture out unless Anchor bay is at least 80% clear. There are dozens of islands and bays out there, if you aren't familiar with the area, a GPS is a must! Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I'm thinking of trying for northerns on some inland lakes after ice out. Ford lake in Washtenaw co. in particular, when would be the best time of year for this and how long do they stay in the shallows? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
CATCH AND RELEASE

·
Super Moderator
38,021 Posts
Ypsifly, As our resident C.O. Boer pointed out on the law forum, it is illegal to target an out of season fish, even for catch and release. Go as soon as the season is open on the water you intend to fish. I think you would have a hard time convincing anyone you are fishing for panfish with a 6" streamer or 1.5oz. Dardevle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts