Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,628 Posts
I Have a piece of carpeting cut to the size and shape of my platform that i leave there, When i get to it and it has snow or ice on it, i just toss it off , or fold it and stuff it in a tree crotch if available and hunt on a dry platform.
If the carpet is dry or just wet, i stand on it.

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
I actually thought of taking some steel wool and a 9 volt battery out there to "thaw it" out. I don't think it really matters though,, when it gets really cold, that metal will crrrreeeeeeakkkk, not matter what I do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
God willing I have my deer in the freezer before ice and then go hunt diver ducks. At least there you know and plan on things being covered in ice.

·
Registered
858 Posts
My buddy carries a small propane torch in his backpack and uses it to thaw his stand.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I second the carpet idea. I was able to use an entrance pad. Pick one up at almost any hardware. Or a carpet sample. However I use a twist tie to secure it so the wind doesn’t blow it off.
As for the Ice on the pole ladder, use a climbing harness. Hopefully you will feel that and be able to remove it before you feet find it. I thought about the spray windshield deicer but it stinks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i hunted out of a hang on stand and was very nervous when standing with ice below my feet( bowhunting) i took out a ziplock bag full of table salt next time i went out and it worked perfect. took a little zoking from hunting partners but couple days later i shot a nice doe.

·
Administrator
17,555 Posts
Ditto on the carpet!
Also, I plant my feet and DO NOT move them. When it is cold I usually find my boots frozen to the tree stand when it is time to go.
<----<<<

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Otta try the spray deicer thing.Surely deer have nothing to associate it with.Might even act as a curiousoity attractant. :yikes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts