Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there are enough people who make their own jigs to do the icefishing version of the fly swap?? Please post if you are interested.

ficious

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
I would be, wax worm imitation for me. I like the idea ficious. We can use Old Steelhead Dude's rules:

In a nutshell, You get say 12 people in the swap. Everyone ties 12 of a pattern and mails them to the "swap meister". He then divides them up and mails back one of everyone elses flies. Nice way to get ideas and see other peoples work.

Before joining Fly swap read Rules any questions should be directed to the swapmister.
Swapmister needs to have your Email address when joining swap

1.Flies will be tied according to the specific rules of the swap.
Ice fishing lures

2. (Toe tag flies) each fly will need to have a small piece of paper attached to the bend of the hook with the swappers name on it. (This makes it easy for swapmister to divide up prier to being sent back)

3.Flies will be mailed in a crushproof box. Antoids cans are perfect (Please no expensive Trout fly cases)

4. Box will be sent to swapmister (with a stamped self-addressed envelope)
(Do not put postage money in envelope)

5. Flies will be mailed on or before deadline date.

If you need a swapmaster, I'll voulenteer.

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Count me in for whatever color you need. Couldn't tie a fly to save my life, but I can muster a pretty jig or two. Given a choice, chartruese. I hope we can get enough people to make this work.

ficious

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's kinda the lines we were thinking along, although we could do walleye/trout if we get enough people interested. Just not the time of year yet that alot of people are cruising the icefishing forum yet. It seems alot of people are hunting, and haven't given ice fishing much thought yet.

ficious

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would love to add my name to the list. I tie an assortment of trout flies and egg patterns but I have never ice fished and thus have never ties ice fishing lures. Does anyone have a source on the net for patterns? If so please e mail me the link at [email protected] or post it here and I'd love to help out. Sounds like a great way to get my ice fishing collection started. On that note, any good ideas on where to get ice fishing rods/rigs? Is WalMart OK?

hodgesc-DVM
[email protected]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi guys and gals,
Been a while since I posted, but I check with you all everyday. Count me in on the swap if it is a go. Icepappy and I make all our own bluegill baits. I don't think they are anything special, but they work for me year-round.
Oct. and Nov. is when my ice season starts...new baits, new line, check the shanty out, make any improvements I thought of last year. I am really hoping we get the ice we did last year but a better bite than last year. I had a miserable season last year.
Anyway, if the swap goes count me in. Just post directions.
Thanks,
Realtorman
Dave

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
OK, the ball is rolling.

kbkrause Wax worm
ficious Chartruese jig
Lunker lunker
hodgesc-DVM TBD
Realtorman bluegill bait

Hurry up only 8 more spots left...:)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
OK

I've done decoy swaps before but this sounds equally fun. It might help that I fish a few different types of water too. I'll do a Lake St Clair Perch jig, bead not included.

Ken Martin
Michigan Duck Hunters Assoaciation-Bluewater-President

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'm in,,,,, I make a whitefish spreader that works great for perch and gills. Its alot of fun to bring in doubles when ice fishing!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
kbkrause ** Wax worm
ficious ** Chartruese jig
Lunker ** lunker
hodgesc-DVM ** TBD
Realtorman ** bluegill bait
Ken Martin ** Lake St Clair Perch jig, bead not included
andy capp ** st clair perch jig. Size 2 with hard bead included
ice fishin nut ** whitefish spreader

Looks like we're getting there, 4 more spots. We'll be all set with tackle, bring on the hard water!!!

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Still looking for some more to join. You can buy some unpaited jig heads at Cabela's Ice fishing stuff (bottem of the page)
and then paint them up in your favorite (most productive :D ) colors. Anyone is welcome to join and he time for ice is comming. Bring on the hard water!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not to mention the pride in catching fish with something you made, Last I checked to buy ice tackle (teardrops) it costs between $.69 and $1.29 each and I figure that a guy can make his own for about $.10 and have enough for many, many years. There can't only be 8 or 9 guys here that make their own? I think it is alot of fun playing with the colors and sizes too. I hope there are a few more of us that join in.

Can't wait for hard water!!

Realtorman
Dave

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
andy capp, yes I did. They look great, and I'm sure more then a few perch will smack those this winter.

If we dont get enough to sign up I'll split them as I see fit, it that is OK with everyone. (one for you, three for me ;) j/k) To get my address just private message me and I'll get it to you. If everyone could get me their stuff in the next few weeks that would be great. I would like to send it out by the end of the month, just in case we get some early December ice.:D

kbkrause ** Wax worm (in progress)
ficious ** Chartruese jig
Lunker ** lunker
hodgesc-DVM ** TBD
Realtorman ** bluegill bait
Ken Martin ** Lake St Clair Perch jig, bead not included
andy capp ** st clair perch jig. Size 2 with hard bead included (received)
ice fishin nut ** whitefish spreader

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ive got some hand painted teardrops that I could add to the swap if your interested?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts