Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would just like to know if there is any ice left and how far I need to go if there is any left. Any reports would be greatly appreciated. Been out of town for a week and unable to access my computer. Thanks.
Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
I fished Big Star Lake in Lake County on Wednesday (March 10). I did not venture far from shore and fished in 3-12' of water. I had to use a 7' plank to get out on the ice from shore. The ice was approx. 7" thick and appeared to be melted/re-frozen snow without any discernable bottom layer of "black" ice or ice that wasn't filled with air. I drilled around 5 holes with my auger and was extremely cautious. Although the ice seemed very stable at that time and fishing was comfortable, I don't intend to go out any more this year nor would I have ventured out any further under those conditions. I maintain sharp blades on my auger and noticed that drilling through the 7" of ice took very few turns and too little effort.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Burt and mullet still have good ice. These are in cheboygan county.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
fishbomb,
no report of how fish foote and fish factor have done this weekend, but i did get a report this morning that they are catching walleye and perch in 16' of water on the south end. one guy had to come back already because he ran out of bait.
ice conditions are still excellent with 8" to 10" of clear ice with 3" of soft ice on top.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I did a drive by at Houghton Lake this morning and seen some cars and trucks on the ice. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lake Cadillac, Mitchell and Missaukee have over 15". Cars are being drove on Lake Missaukee. Haven't seen any cars on Lake Cadillac, access is a problem for cars. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
spent the week up at houghton lake...Good ice...fishing was getting better but walleye season over tomorrow...going back up this coming weekend for some gills and crappies!! ice was anywhere from 16inches in some areas to 8 inches out in the middle of the lake

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ice is 12-16 in. Shore is a little shakie, but people were running sleds all over the lake yesterday.smelt at north end behind the bait shop. didnt start biting at west boat launch till dark. Good Luck BE SAFE! M.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
I was out an hour west of saginaw theres still good ice 7" You have to be carefull by shore in some of the lakes. Up north of saginaw an hour the ice was also good on most lakes, watch the shore ice though, all the lakes I went to were good if you can get on them.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any info on Black Lake in Cheboygan County? I'm going to head up north somewhere this coming weekend, just haven't decided exactly where yet. Thanks for all the responses.

·
Premium Member
29,944 Posts
Ice all over in U.P.:eek: Just went for weekend to soo (canadian side) for that snow train ride. There's about 3' of snow all over the ground up there!!! Still looks like the heart of winter:D Everything is still solid looking anywhere I looked, but didn't take gear with me:( Was wifes weekend(birthday) trip. Definately the place I'm moving to one day;) Still beautiful weather up there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts