Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the weekend watching the kiddo while the wife was working, and figured if I was going to hangin out at home I would give tying up some ice flies a shot..... Anyone else use them?

Here is what I tied up, all on either size 10 or 12 hooks, with a couple small jigs mixed in too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice looking flies! I use them all the time about 8-12" above my jig. My best producer is the scud pattern. They are best worked with a very subtle shake with an occassional rise and fall. There are certain days when it completely outfishes a baited jig, and produces the larger fish. This has mostly been with gills. Takes some practice sensing the bite because they are typically very light. But I'm to the point where I can usually distinguish a fly from a jig bite. Good luck out there.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Dang! I dont know if they'll catch anything, but they sure are purdy!!:lol:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha they are kinda purdy...

These are alll weighted so that they can be fished just like a jig tipped with bait. Pretty sure they will hold a mousie or waxie just fine...

Stopped into Netcraft while shopping in Toledo with the wife tonight and picked up some glow and UV materials to use too. Hopefully I'll get to try them out later this week.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
My bet is on the flies in the upper left corner. Had some similar to that last year that were the go to rig when things slowed during mid season. Tied 18" up from a jig/teardrop. Make sure it's tied with the hook open up or you'll miss a lot of fish!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I haven't tried using any Yet. As soon as I get my fly tying stuff from storage (the whole moving thing) I'll be able to tie some up. What did you use on purple ones in the middle? If I'm over stepping my boundary I'm sorry but could you share the recipes. They do look great.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Here's a few that I tied on the left, and a friend of mine tied the ones on the right.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't tried using any Yet. As soon as I get my fly tying stuff from storage (the whole moving thing) I'll be able to tie some up. What did you use on purple ones in the middle? If I'm over stepping my boundary I'm sorry but could you share the recipes. They do look great.

Those are black ice dubbing bodies with magenta colored grizzly hackle and some pearlesent flashabou for a little tail. I dont mind sharing recipes, as I don't plan on selling any.. well unless someone wants some... lol

·
Registered
306 Posts
I tied some flies and had a similar experience with the fly a foot or so up a tungsten jig and worked pretty well; I haven't done too many ice-hours, so hard to make conclusions, but when I had a fish hit the fly they were bigger than average.

Also, tied some on the tiny (1/100th?, or 1/80th oz can't remember) like the lower left flies. I chose black and gray colors. I fished them tipped with spike/waxie like a normal teardrop. Not always effective, but when the fish are in the mood, they slam it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts