Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some guys use small flys for bluegill and crappie threw the ice. Would some one mind sharing some of the flies they use and have had success with?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I use the Michigan style rig for my sight fishing poles. Use any scud like patterned flys, diffrent colors on diffrent days. I will use a jig or teardrop as my dropper weight and tie my fly up a bit. Try and get your fly out away from the line just like a open water drop shot. I use this in finnese situations only, so all jig sizes and knot junctions need to be minute. Play with it you can probbly use it in other applications as well. Flys work great I don't even bait mine most of the time.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you put the fly on the main line above your jig? The few times that i have tried using flys i tied a small piece of line to the shank of the jig and put the fly there. It worked pretty well for the most part but it seemed like i always caught much smaller fish on the fly.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
We used a twin fly set up with a lead jig on the bottom at Simcoe the last time we went. I tell you what, hauling 3 10+ inch perch up at one time is a blast, but very hard to get through a 6" hole.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I use the Michigan style rig for my sight fishing poles. Use any scud like patterned flys, diffrent colors on diffrent days. I will use a jig or teardrop as my dropper weight and tie my fly up a bit. Try and get your fly out away from the line just like a open water drop shot. I use this in finnese situations only, so all jig sizes and knot junctions need to be minute. Play with it you can probbly use it in other applications as well. Flys work great I don't even bait mine most of the time.
this rig has worked for me this last year I used it and caught alot of fish on the fly above the teardrop

·
Registered
617 Posts
I use high color braid on my spool then I attach, with the use of a blood or uni knot, a mono or flouro leader about 3-6'. I will take the jig and tie it to a 6" or so (does not nead to be exact you can adjust with your knot) left over peice of the line used to make the leader. Next make a blood or double uni knot to conect the jig to the leader at this ponit you can fine tune how far apart everything is going to be. Once the knot is secure you will be left with the two tags pick the straightest one (it will be horizontal off your leader) and save it, clip the other peice of line from the knot close. Finally tie your fly on that (tag) portion of the line left over, it needs to be fairly close to the main line to acheive a true horizontal presintation I would say less than 1.5" no closer than a .5". Mess around with this set up and you will get the appropriate depths and can readly tie one that suits or needs. You will see (if sight fishing) the bigger gill, especially redears, come up and lip the fly, this requiers instant hook set beacuse the fish will not enterly love the taste of the fly and often spit it out. Its fun and gets the heart a pumping.
Good luck

·
Banned
265 Posts
We used a twin fly set up with a lead jig on the bottom at Simcoe the last time we went. I tell you what, hauling 3 10+ inch perch up at one time is a blast, but very hard to get through a 6" hole.
As far as I know this is illegal. Maybe I interpret the law incorrectly, but I was under the impression that you could only use two hooks per line. Anyone else familiar with this law?

As far as ice flies go, it's all I use. I will never use an ice jig again. I don't need bait and always outfish everyone around me. My rig usually consists of 2 flies with splitshot between the two flies. How many splitshots I use depends on the depth I am fishing. I usually catch most of my gills in deep water at least 20'-30'. My flies are one of a kind and I think it's why they are so successful. I may be willing to sell some or trade secrets if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
You can use up to 4 baits per fisherman. 2 on one line, 2 on another, or all 4 on one line. Or, 3 on one line, and one on another. Your choice. No more than 2 lines, and 4 baits. I, many times rig up with 3 baits on one line. That way you can concentrate on that one line and still cover a bit more of the water clolumn. XXXdisel77- Put a small jig or teardrop on the bottom, and you'll get back down quicker. Valuable, especially in deep water. You can still have 2 flies above that. Good Luck Capnhook

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
As far as I know this is illegal. Maybe I interpret the law incorrectly, but I was under the impression that you could only use two hooks per line. Anyone else familiar with this law?
This was at Lake Simcoe in Canada, not Michigan.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
The top two obviously aren't technically flies, just tiny jigs that I tied myself. They did pretty good on perch last year.

The bottom is just a generic "buggy" thing Just like in the warmer months the gills will go after the buggy things. This one is weighted, but I saw in the new in-fisherman ice fishing guide that they have some new jig heads that have another eye on the bottom to attach flies as droppers

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
As far as ice flies go, it's all I use. I will never use an ice jig again. I don't need bait and always outfish everyone around me. My rig usually consists of 2 flies with splitshot between the two flies. How many splitshots I use depends on the depth I am fishing. I usually catch most of my gills in deep water at least 20'-30'. My flies are one of a kind and I think it's why they are so successful. I may be willing to sell some or trade secrets if anyone is interested.
Let's see some pics! I got interested in ice flies last winter, but there is not a lot of information out there.

·
Registered
617 Posts
This was at Lake Simcoe in Canada, not Michigan.
Thats what I was thinking, who knows what the rules are on that lake, canada's wildlife managment has a jumbo book with diffrent rules on about every diffrent lake out there. I was confused at first but then I just turned to the page with the lake I was fishing and was all set. captian thanks for the info on the exact law here in MI It was a little gray for me before, now I know.

·
Registered
865 Posts
QUOTE]

I never fish more than one fly, so I don't check the rules often. However I have always thought you were limited to two hooks per line. However here's the detail from the DNR site, it doesn't seem to specify only two hooks per line any where -

Hook and Line Fishing: Fish so taken must be hooked in the mouth.
Fish not hooked in the mouth must be returned to the water immediately.
No more than two lines per person (including tip-ups) nor more than four
hooks or lures may be used. Except: on L. Michigan, L. Huron,
L. Superior and the St. Marys R., those persons in the act of trolling while
targeting trout/salmon may use three rods/lines and attach no more than
crawler harness” are counted as one hook. Hooks must be baited or
for taking smelt in recognized smelt waters. Tip-ups and similar devices
must be under immediate control. Hook size regulations exist on certain
streams (see Exceptions to General Regulations by County, p. 16-19).

·
Banned
265 Posts
Thank you guys for clearing that confusion up. I was always led to believe you could only use two hooks per line. Now that I know that is incorrect you better believe I will be using three hooks this year. Wow, and I thought I caught lots of fish before. Time to take it up a notch this winter. Good luck to all! I will try to get a pic of the flies that I tie on here in the next few days.

·
Administrator
35,636 Posts
I use high color braid on my spool then I attach, with the use of a blood or uni knot, a mono or flouro leader about 3-6'. I will take the jig and tie it to a 6" or so (does not nead to be exact you can adjust with your knot) left over peice of the line used to make the leader. Next make a blood or double uni knot to conect the jig to the leader at this ponit you can fine tune how far apart everything is going to be. Once the knot is secure you will be left with the two tags pick the straightest one (it will be horizontal off your leader) and save it, clip the other peice of line from the knot close. Finally tie your fly on that (tag) portion of the line left over, it needs to be fairly close to the main line to acheive a true horizontal presintation I would say less than 1.5" no closer than a .5". Mess around with this set up and you will get the appropriate depths and can readly tie one that suits or needs. You will see (if sight fishing) the bigger gill, especially redears, come up and lip the fly, this requiers instant hook set beacuse the fish will not enterly love the taste of the fly and often spit it out. Its fun and gets the heart a pumping.
Good luck

A picture/drawing of that rig would really clear things up!

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
its just a blood knot- attaching for me anyhow the yellow stren to the leader -the two tag ends of the blood knot ! clip one like normal and use other end for ice fly ! very simple .

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
its just a blood knot- attaching for me anyhow the yellow stren to the leader -the two tag ends of the blood knot ! clip one like normal and use other end for ice fly ! very simple .

·
Registered
398 Posts
I fish flies a lot. I like a #12 long shank hook which I wrap from just below the eye to the bend of the hook with .015 lead wire. I usually wrap on a single layer of thread first and head cement it. This helps keep the wire in place. Then I wrap my color of choice thread on and head cement it in place. There is no need to get fancy the crappie and gills don't care. I do like to use chartruse because it's easy to see when you site fish. Tie some up and see what works best for you. If you want to make things really easy use acetate thread. There are many days when flies will out fish bait.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts