Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm hearing roomers that in the Marquette County area there is little to no activity in the fish catching world. Is there anyone out there that can verify this? I haven't had a chance to get out much, and have no clue as to what lakes to hit. Could anyone throw me a line? Just some ideas of lakes, or whatever would be great. I'm not asking anyone to give up the "Secret Hole".
Thanks
TS:help:

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
...so you should just stay home and leave the fish for Itch! But all joking aside, even when they're not biting, just getting out there and exploring the many fantastic lakes in your area will be an exhilerating experience. I'm a bit reclusive, and like to stay away from crowds, but maybe you should start out where you see a group of people out on the ice, and talk to and mingle with them. Use light line and a spring bobber, I even use 4 lb. test for walleye, although you can go a bit heavier, but the lighter, the better. I don't know which part of the county you are from, but I am familiar with these lakes, check 'em out. Lk. Independence, Big Bay ( black crappie, bluegill, brown trout, cisco, northern pike, rock bass, smallmouth bass, walleye, white sucker, yellow perch); Lk. Michigamme, Champion (Black crappie, brook trout, burbot,longnose sucker, lake trout, lake whitefish, muskellunge, northern pike, rock bass, smallmouth bass, splake, walleye, white sucker, yellow perch); Deer Lake Basin, Ishpeming (black bullhead, northern pike, pumkinseed sunfish, walley, white sucker,
yellow perch)
catch-and-release only, artificial lures only, no bait in possesion allowed. Catch the big one....

·
Registered
828 Posts
You have lakes all around you. Get out and fish. Talk to the local bait dealers. Not just the Guys at Gander either, although it's worth a try. I know a few guys that fished Witch Lake out by Republic on M-95 it's a bit of a drive but just an idea. There should be a depth map on the DNR's website. I see lots of people fishing Teal Lake in Negaunee. Fishing in the yoop is usually slow this time of year. The walleye should start picking up in February, but it's always worth a try. Tip ups with golden shiners or med suckers usually work well. 8-12 inches off the bottom in 10-18 fow, deeper in clear lakes. If you are looking for panfish (wigglers are GOOD) I'm sure there are some around. Wigglers and minnows for perch too.

Good luck to ya,

Joe

·
Registered
833 Posts
not sure about Marquette, but was in Newberry over the weekend and fishing was slow! No one was doing any good. We brought home six in two days...Four should have been thrown back.......ugh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks guys.. I guess all in all it's just being outside that I want, Though bringing home dinner is always nice. I haven't fished any of the lakes around here yet, and was just looking for a good starting point. Thanks for letting me know a good direction to take..

·
Registered
756 Posts
Be thankful you have ice. That's all I can add. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts