Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what everone uses to carry and store your ice fishing tackle. I have tried a fly fishing box, but it didnt work out all that well for me, maybe just a cheap box? I see get more and more jigs etc each year, so I'd love to hera what you guys found what works and what dosnt.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
I have several smaller (3x5, 4x6 inch) 4, 6 and 8 compartment boxs that I keep in one larger tupperware style container/box. This way I have different types/styles of jigs (glow, russian, ice fly's, tear drops, ants, ect.) in there own container. If I'm not going "all out" I'll take out smaller box or two pertaining to the species I'm targeting and put them in my coat pocket or the bucket. :)

The little multy compartment containers you get from Jammin Jigs when you order from them are great! And the price is right! ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What type of fly boes do you guys use. My small jigs never stay put in my fly box the alwasy come loose. I will have to pick up some of those plano boxes.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
:yeahthat: I agree w/the tupperware compartments work good and are waterproof.......:fish:

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Chris391 said:
What type of fly boes do you guys use. My small jigs never stay put in my fly box the alwasy come loose. I will have to pick up some of those plano boxes.
Chris, I make my own fly box's out of old style plastic, folding type VHS tape boxs. Got some 1/16 or 1/8" thick 8 x 10" foam sheets from the craft section of walmarts, cut to fit (*top and bottom) two pieces, spray adhesive and your good to go! :)

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
I use a large plastic peanut butter jar ( less the peanut butter ) of course,and several clear plastic canisters from 35mm film,in which I store my jigs,weights,hooks etc.....bobbers,..extra line...rubber bands.stuff and more stuff just drop them in the big plastic jar...doesn't need to be a peanut butter jar...any large jar will do.....Also the jar is clear and you can roll it around to spot what you need...and it floats.....and it costs nothing...and it is water tight...just make sure the large jar is big enough to stick your hand into.....WHAT THIS SITE NEEDS IS A PRACTICAL MICHIGAN-SPORTSMAN THREAD:lol: ;) Oh!!!!FRED,HOW WE DON'T MISS YOU.......

FIND A PLACE THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY.....AND GO THERE.....OFTEN

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
I use the Plano boxes too, but here's what ya do. Buy some of that magnetic tape and line the bottom of the box with that. I actually had some of that 3M double-sided sticky foam and put that down first then the magnet tape. Thats saved my jigs more than a few times when I dropped my box.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
This little unit here carries everything and the kitchen sink for me. Got it from Wal-mart a couple years ago for 8 bucks. Don't know how I lived without it.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Nice piece of gear there JJmac. What a bargain! Does that fit easily into a 5 gallon bucket?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Oh, yeah. Got the bucket from walmart too. It carries and is a stand for my vex.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Altoids tins are another cheap alternative I have used to store some jigs and gear. They keep a pretty good seal. May have to try the magnet tape trick, would be nice to keep the jigs from jumping around in there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use discarded pill bottles for the small jigs, spikes, mousies and waxies. The bottles are dark brown and semi transparent. Live bait likes it dark. Use a tupperware box for the wigglers.
For spreaders, sinkers and other dry items I get a bundle of small zip-lock bags from Michaels. They come in different sizes and help organize my ice fishing bucket and summer box. About $2 to $4 per package of 100 bags depending on the size. Helps keep the baggage lighter.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Burksee said:
Holy Cow Lee! Now that's what I call a jig box! Are you sure there's a enough room for all of them in there! :lol:

Thats actually a pretty sweet lookin set up. Who out this way carries those?
As Ranger Ray said...I got mine at Dicks sporting goods. and Yes, it will fit in a bucket if I turn it on its side. easy to organize, easy to work with, and plenty big enough for all my Ice jigs, hooks, bobbers, and even stuff I need for Tip-ups. Extra line, pliers ect...

Granted, I know I don't carry as much gear as some guys do, but I like to have a little of everything that I may want out there..and this box works good for me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts