Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured this is probably a good place to ask...

Has anyone else experienced intermittent "failure" of the anti reverse on a spinning reel in cold weather? Any solution? (Aside from buy a shimano)

I'm thinking I'd have to clean the heavy grease/oils out and use something lighter, but am hoping someone has already solved this problem...

I've refused to buy another Pflueger president because I have lost walleye jigging the D in spring with this issue... now I just encountered it with a brand spanking new Okuma Trio (delivered in 10*F weather).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
2 out of 6 of mine were doing that last Thursday, but I left them in the trunk all week and they did get damp the last time I used them.

I left them in the house all night and the next day they have been fine. I no longer leave them outside all night.

·
Super Moderator
35,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I normally store my rod/reels inside. With the president, the symptoms come back when it gets cold again (in its case it has an issue around 35F)

With the trio...It was cold and dry (10F and still in original package). No real chance to get damp. Only thing I can think of is higher viscosity oil/grease due to cold OR tolerances of parts due to expansion/contraction...

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
It could be the grease freezing, I was fishing on some really slushy ice so I thought it was a moisture issue.

Mine stay silly warm in my shanty with only a single bottle mr buddy. Since I started bringing them in every night I haven't had the issue since and they work as good as the day they were new.

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
FWIW, GM by me had Shimano Sedona 500 series reels for silly cheap the last time I was there. It took all I had to walk away and not buy a 1/2 dozen of them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bought a Pflueger Supreme last year. Smart looking reel, ten bearings, smooth as silk drag. When I took it out on the bay ice fishing the anti reverse consistently failed. Works fine in the summer but it don't like the cold. Someone told me that "Hot Sauce" reel lube might fix the problem, but I haven't gotten around to trying it. Spend that kind of money on a reel, I shouldn't have to take it apart for it to work right. I got a few Walmart specials with probably ten winters on em' still working.

·
Super Moderator
35,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bought a Pflueger Supreme last year. Smart looking reel, ten bearings, smooth as silk drag. When I took it out on the bay ice fishing the anti reverse consistently failed. Works fine in the summer but it don't like the cold. Someone told me that "Hot Sauce" reel lube might fix the problem, but I haven't gotten around to trying it. Spend that kind of money on a reel, I shouldn't have to take it apart for it to work right. I got a few Walmart specials with probably ten winters on em' still working.
Exactly!!!! I contacted pflueger and they basically told me they'd never heard of the problem and offered NO solution. I think the cheapy reels have a more forgiving system. Generally they aren't "instant" and have a small but very noticeable play in them.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If the anti reverse is going just throw it out, it means that the clutches inside the reel are worn out of have grease in them. Unless it's a 200 dollar reel it's not worth trying to fix.........so buy a shimano.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I am surprised to hear the news about the Pfluegers failing. I have some Pflueger presidents that I use all summer and then put them on my ice rods and have never had any problems with the cold even when out bucket sitting. Call Pflueger and see what they say. I know they will replace them if they are less than a year old.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Only happens to mine when their damp like stated above. Let then thaw in the house on a rack by the wood stove and their good to go

·
Super Moderator
35,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the anti reverse is going just throw it out, it means that the clutches inside the reel are worn out of have grease in them. Unless it's a 200 dollar reel it's not worth trying to fix.........so buy a shimano.
Brand spankin new. Just took it out of the package.

·
Super Moderator
35,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I am surprised to hear the news about the Pfluegers failing. I have some Pflueger presidents that I use all summer and then put them on my ice rods and have never had any problems with the cold even when out bucket sitting. Call Pflueger and see what they say. I know they will replace them if they are less than a year old.
Pflueger said they've never heard of it. Offered no help. I now only use it in summer.

I guess I will try to dry it out... only moisture should be from the building it was stored in though...

·
Registered
151 Posts
It could be the grease freezing, I was fishing on some really slushy ice so I thought it was a moisture issue.

Mine stay silly warm in my shanty with only a single bottle mr buddy. Since I started bringing them in every night I haven't had the issue since and they work as good as the day they were new.
I was having the same issues and like you said bring them in at night and i like to stay pretty toasty in the shanty and i havent had the problem since.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Never have issues with my gander guide series reels. I don't bring mine in at nite. Think an expensive reel would be better. Mine are instant anti reverse.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I had problem with my phleuger 5:1 last weekend..sprayed wd40 synthetic..works good now..also went and bought a 10 ball cabelas..29.99..reg (79.00)..couldnt go wrong .its best to have a good reel better then a rod!

·
Super Moderator
35,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I had problem with my phleuger 5:1 last weekend..sprayed wd40 synthetic..works good now..also went and bought a 10 ball cabelas..29.99..reg (79.00)..couldnt go wrong .its best to have a good reel better then a rod!
Opened it up and sprayed inside I assume... WD usually wipes out the grease. Maybe that's a solution to thick grease if its just too viscous.

Really like my Okuma reels. This is first problem I've had.

Staying warm in the shanty probably works cuz the problem is related to cold. I will be contacting Okuma because keeping them warm and indoors isn't really acceptable to me. I can see maintaining them but not having to baby them... I bet even shimano owners have experienced this to some extent.

If drying them out after every trip is necessary then in guess that's what I will have to do... too many of you guys seem to have success with it to be a fluke. Probably has to do with taking a warm reel out there which prevents condensation.

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
I burnt out a Shimano Sedona this fall and it was maybe 2 months old. That said, it got used a Lot in those 2 months. I also leave my drag looser then most when casting and that may have contributed to it burning up so quickly.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
take it apart and lube it with some thicker Mobil synthetic oil instead of grease for winter. Easy to do. Ive done it before and rides a bit smoother. never done it in winter but that's probably your problem.

·
Super Moderator
35,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
take it apart and lube it with some thicker Mobil synthetic oil instead of grease for winter. Easy to do. Ive done it before and rides a bit smoother. never done it in winter but that's probably your problem.
I'm thinking you're right... I just googled it and it seems others have had some success with it. It'll be dedicated ice service so just making sure its lubed with an oil rather than grease isn't a big deal.

Oh, I did notice the reel loosened up SIGNIFICANTLY as it warmed... became much easier to crank.

I will probably end up trying a bunch of things you guys suggested. I would have thought when I asked Pflueger, one of their technical people could have given me a better answer. Maybe I should demand a real answer and not just "never heard of it ". I call BS on that...

·
Super Moderator
35,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I burnt out a Shimano Sedona this fall and it was maybe 2 months old. That said, it got used a Lot in those 2 months. I also leave my drag looser then most when casting and that may have contributed to it burning up so quickly.
I assume your drag washer wore out? That should be easy to replace.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts