Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 4' very ultra light noodle rod for ice fishing. I have one now, but it's my uncles and he wants it back. I have looked all over and can't find one exactly like it. I do not like fishing with spring bobbers or anything, so I need a very limber rod. Could anyone help me out and point me in the right direction so I could find what I am looking for? It is like this is the only rod in the world like it. I have seen custom ones with the line that runs through the entire rod, but those don't have the flexibility I need. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

·
Registered
317 Posts
try checking your local bait shops or sporting good stores. The gander mountain by my house carries a pretty big selection of home made rods. One of them that i noticed was either 51" or 53". I think 53 but it was extremely flexible. HT makes a 48" noodle rod but it isn't that flexible. Just check around, you wil find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I use a 4' microlite with a Diawa Underspin reel....works like a charm and I can use it during the summer too...Zebco makes one for around 25.00 at Walmart...home of the Walmartians...

lkmifisherman

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
funebonz880 said:
Why four foot??
Because that is what I have been fishing with lately and I took a liking to that length. It's just a personal preference. I would go a little longer if I had to, but 4' seems like a good fit to me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dont know why you want a 4' rod for ice fishing but if you are flexable on length then check out the rods on jammin jigs.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Ya if you are flexible on length, then check out the Ice Blue rods made by HT. 8 bucks at Gander Mtn, and super flexible.

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
The HT rods are nice and I think they make them up too 36" long. Eventually your going to want to invest in rod specifically made for ice fishing so it sounds like this is a good oppertunity to do so. The reels are a different matter and I use mine year around. I take the reels with that came with my icefishing combos and use them on my ultralight rods in the summer. I like how the ice reels let you adjust the drag with a greater precision.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I recommend ice blue rods. They make one thats about 3 foot long and they are super sensative. I have one of the shorter kind and it works better then a spring bobber IMO. You can find them at Gander and I think Mejer or Walmart had some last year too.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
There are some good fisherman who swear by 50 inch 'long rods' for GILLIN.....its a darn sensitive stick. These will be the guys pullin the light biting fish when everyone one else can't catch a cold.

....and with a rod like that you can fish like 5 holes without ever having to take a step. Hole Hoppers deeelight. I don't know where you get em but good luck....I like 30''s but I could see myself using a 48'' if I found one that was 'Perfect' in my hands.

As far as the 'Blue' ice rods, everyone knows I love my 30'' lights (not sure why, there's only 4 in my bag)....but I don't care for the one longer than that...its a little wimpy.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I got one of the 48in gillin rods and would never give it up they rock you can see a gill lick your offering to see if it taste good.

I got mine years ago but I know hamlin grocery on hamlin lake carries them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
TheApprentice said:
I am looking for a 4' very ultra light noodle rod for ice fishing. I have one now, but it's my uncles and he wants it back. I have looked all over and can't find one exactly like it. I do not like fishing with spring bobbers or anything, so I need a very limber rod. Could anyone help me out and point me in the right direction so I could find what I am looking for? It is like this is the only rod in the world like it. I have seen custom ones with the line that runs through the entire rod, but those don't have the flexibility I need. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
I just purchase an outfit like you describe, custom built, from Capt Tim Shaffer. You can contact him here: http://www.headhuntersportfishing.com/

$50.00 for the custom rod, but it is high quality and super sensitive. Mine is 60" long with a Got-Cha wire spring bobber on it. You can detect every little breath on your jig. Give him an email.

Cheers.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate all of the replies you guys. I have a few options now, so hopefully I will find the rod that I am looking for. Good luck fishing to all.

Ryan

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I was just at Jay's in Gaylord and they had a really cool 48" ultra light ice rod called Cadillac Elite. No manufacturer was listed but it had a very similar color scheme (and was right next to) the Schooley line of Arctic Blues so I'm thinking they might be behind it. It looked very sensitive and similar in design to the Arctic Blues and HT Ice Blues line. I might pick one up one of these days.

·
Registered
617 Posts
http://www.jhigley.org/default.asp

Sweet, well made, custom, rods built right here in SW Mi. Looks like they have Ultra-lites up to 61"
I love long ice fishing UL rods as I don't fish in a shanty---your post reminds me to get over there and pick up a couple myself Thanks

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
WWW yourbobbersdown .com or call thorne bros. they'll make you what ever you like.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts