Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to put some new line on my ice fishing reels before the season starts and was looking for some suggestions. I am using a Ugly Stick spinning combo and mostly jig for perch and panfish but will also target pike on a few of the lakes I fish. I honestly don’t remember what they are spooled with at the moment but the line had a tendency to break when I would tie a jig on. Not sure if it was bad line or the idiot tying it. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I’m going to put some new line on my ice fishing reels before the season starts and was looking for some suggestions. I am using a Ugly Stick spinning combo and mostly jig for perch and panfish but will also target pike on a few of the lakes I fish. I honestly don’t remember what they are spooled with at the moment but the line had a tendency to break when I would tie a jig on. Not sure if it was bad line or the idiot tying it. Any help is appreciated.
i use Seagar line 4lb - as strong as 10 lb as thin as 2 lb. very strong line.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've got all my ice reels spooled with braid.
Tie on a tiny Spro swivel and use a flouro leader, usually 3lb Suffix. I keep several different lb leader material available and change up/set up for conditions.
Braid last a long time so I don't need to respool much.
Only thing with braid is it can freeze up but I'm always in the warm shanty so no prob.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I just tried cast kings mono. Was very surprised how strong yet how thin it was. Other than that I ALWAYS use pline cxx on anything mono related. If I need to use floro, I go with pline floroclear...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts