Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
The wife asked me if I'd like to go ice fishing Valentines Day weekend...tough decision there lol!
So we're going to Cadillac (silly southerner here lol)
I've honestly never fished either lake, we usually go west and hit the river.
They're large lakes to me and we're walking so I'm just curious if it's reasonable to walk and fish? We don't have a machine.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
The wife asked me if I'd like to go ice fishing Valentines Day weekend...tough decision there lol!
They're large lakes to me and we're walking so I'm just curious if it's reasonable to walk and fish? We don't have a machine.
I always walk out there...but often walk over a half mile. Just hope for nice ice conditions. There are 4 or 5 main/popular access sites on Mitchell...some are shorter walks to fishy areas and some a little longer. But the entire lake is fishy for the most part. Find 8-12' of water and weeks and you can catch all species of fish. But it will be busy on a weekend for sure. Doesn't mean you can't find and catch fish though. Lot of fish get caught on Cadillac too...but I don't know that lake nearly as well. As other's have said...Pilgrims Village is a good bait store and will give you good honest advice. Have fun!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Looking for some sexy pic information on ice conditions. We have access to a private lake in the area for snowmobile race sled testing but we need good solid ice. We run on ice not snow so we would have to plow a track and the quad doesn’t push slush very well. Can anybody tell if there is a bunch of slush under the snow on Cadillac or Mitchell?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I found a couple slushy areas about a half mile out of big cove on Saturday, most of the lake I checked out was either swiss cheese from holes drilled new and old and trials in the slush from last weekend. Powder when I got farther out in the lake.

Didn't measure the ice but largest vehicles I saw out were side by sides, I would say 6"-8" but didn't pay much attention to the ice thickness, been fishing on 3"-5" of ice for a few weeks on some lakes so it felt good to let the auger just keep spinning and make me feel a little safer.

First time out for the wife, kid and I we left with 4 gills and 5 perch to throw in with a northern we caught last weekend for dinner tonight. A ton of throwbacks but that's fine with me. Wasn't expecting any fish the way people talk but changed teardrops, bait, and locations a few times and after a few hours the wife and I got dialed in. The kid is 4 so she was just happy to be out making snow angels.

Had a couple buddies meet me from downstate and they did similar. Definitely gonna check it out again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Looking for some sexy pic information on ice conditions. We have access to a private lake in the area for snowmobile race sled testing but we need good solid ice. We run on ice not snow so we would have to plow a track and the quad doesn’t push slush very well. Can anybody tell if there is a bunch of slush under the snow on Cadillac or Mitchell?
Maybe you could choose two shanties to be the start and finish lines! I'm willing to bet that the regulars on Cadillac and Mitchell are praying that the private lake firms up soon.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Wow, this fella has a hard on for that area.
And the damn southerners that bring money into the area.
This is the same reason I got off face book! Bunch of bickering know it all's. If ya dont like the lakes shut up about em and move on!
Zuchy is going to start censoring ice fishing next

·
Registered
131 Posts
With the recent warmer weather how’s the ice? Hoping to take my 10 year old daughter out on Sunday. She loves to go fishing with me all summer long, but this will be her first ice fishing trip. Not knowing how much she’ll like it, I don’t want to drive 2-3 hours and have her say “Can we go home?” an hour in, so aiming for Mitchell as these lakes are within an hour of us. I’m worried about her having to wade through thick slush.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
With the recent warmer weather how’s the ice? Hoping to take my 10 year old daughter out on Sunday. She loves to go fishing with me all summer long, but this will be her first ice fishing trip. Not knowing how much she’ll like it, I don’t want to drive 2-3 hours and have her say “Can we go home?” an hour in, so aiming for Mitchell as these lakes are within an hour of us. I’m worried about her having to wade through thick slush.
Was just there yesterday. Ice is fine. There was a little slush here or there nothing bad when we left. Depending how much snow they get, that’s where it will get real crappy fast.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Last year, my Buddy and I went to Lake Simcoe Valentines day week. All I can say is having two dozen roses delivered to my wife while I was there wasn't cheap. LOL. A few years back, I took her to Pilgrims Village for the weekend, her first real ice fishing outing. She loved it. She enjoyed sitting in the shanty and drinking wine the most.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I just drove through there. It looks extremely sloppy. I talked to a guy coming off the ice he said there was still at least 12 inches of ice
There’s not a lake in northern Michigan with 12 inches of ice. Bet that guy catches 13 in bluegills and 15 inch rock bass all the time too!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I measured 8" of ice and 2" of water today about 3/4 mile off little bay, if it gets cold it should be close to 12" when all the ice water and slush freeze together.

lots of sloppy spots but I still found a few spots to leave the wife and kid that were dry. Walking out there were lots of wet spots to push through.

Moved around a bit and saw a couple flags pop and a few crappie hit the ice from other groups but everything me, the wife and kid caught was small today.

Good walk today around that area, think I saw some spots to try on my next visit to that spot.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Last year, my Buddy and I went to Lake Simcoe Valentines day week. All I can say is having two dozen roses delivered to my wife while I was there wasn't cheap. LOL. A few years back, I took her to Pilgrims Village for the weekend, her first real ice fishing outing. She loved it. She enjoyed sitting in the shanty and drinking wine the most.
I always took my wife fishing. I had her "LEAD THE WAY "

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ok locals, I have a few 4 wheelers thinking of taking a crew out this weekend.. usually hoof it, it has been a few weeks since I've been on the lake. How would the lake travel be by 4 wheeler?
All that crust layer of slush from a few weeks back hardened up?

Also, besides DNR launch near Pilgrim's, any other places on West side of Mitchells that you can park with a trailer to try a different area of the lake?

Also any reports feel free to PM. As always, not expecting much other then a good and safe time.

-RnR.

·
Registered
219 Posts
How's the ice holding up on these lakes? The forecast for next week shows below freezing temps at night. I might be able to make it out one last time next sunday, 3/7/21, if it makes it that long. I know its probably a long shot for safe ice.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

181 - 200 of 202 Posts