Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my brothers/cousins just started a yearly tradition of a weekend ice fishing trip at Grand Lake in Presque Isle, MI. Our inaugural trip last year was not the feast we were hoping for but we did manage to catch walleye and a handful of perch. We are all rather novices with the most experienced being about 1-2 years of ice fishing. My cousin’s cabin access is on the north east side of Grand Island so we are limited to foot.

Hoping to jar up conversation on lures, colors, strategies, locations, etc. to have a successful trip this year. Like many - targeting both perch and walleye. Any suggestions help!

Open forum to all ice fishing Grand Lake

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I fish N of Grand island often, not this year yet. Will be there in a couple of weeks.

I do well on tip ups with bigger minnows for perch and walleye, and jigging spoons for perch. I usually fish about 12'.

It can be a difficult bite for sure, and early ice is always better.

I'm assuming you must be on Pine St. or Grand Lake Rd. ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes sir. Seems to be a good access point but a bit of a hike to get to Black Bass Bay on foot. We are about a month out so we will miss the early ice. Might be there for the derby but i am receiving conflicting dates.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Once the ice gets thick enough, you can drive on the lake. North of the Browns point is my choice.

Reactions: PerchPatrol

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I will be up the 11th-16th for my first trip this year be fishing both Grand and Long good luck and stay safe this ice season.
I'll be up there on the 15th & 16th for my first rip of the season (actually first time ice fishing since 2011 so I'm very rusty).

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Yes sir. Seems to be a good access point but a bit of a hike to get to Black Bass Bay on foot. We are about a month out so we will miss the early ice. Might be there for the derby but i am receiving conflicting dates.
There's a boat access on Black Bass Bay off of Black Bass Bay Rd. Right at the Horseshoe. That's how I've always got on the bay in the past.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Every time I use wax worms , I get 2" perch. I generally use walleye minnows all the time.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I often jig and do ok. Beaded spoons, raps. Etc...

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Isn't Bucks Bait still open?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Slow today, very cold and breezy. 5 degrees. 2 nice perch, lost a big walleye. 7 inches of ice. I ran into a bunch of deep slush by the shore.

Try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Slow today, very cold and breezy. 5 degrees. 2 nice perch, lost a big walleye. 7 inches of ice. I ran into a bunch of deep slush by the shore.

Try again tomorrow.
Looks like today will be a toasty 11 degrees good luck I will be headed that way early in the morning.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts