Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
I picked up a pair from Cabelas recently primarily composed of Goretex with a deerskin palm. Advertised as 100% waterproof. Very warm and comfortable (for what little I've had a chance to use them this season :rant: ).

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Get the igloo ice gloves, the ones covered in what feels like asphalt shavings. Warm, waterproof, cant beat em for ice fishing. They come in mittens too, I think Gander mountian carries them. HT might make some of the same gloves as well.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have an old pair of snowmobile mittens from the 70's, and they're incredible. My hands never get cold. However they're starting to fall apart. I need a new pair soon, but they're pretty darn waterproof. Go with mittens. They're warmer.

·
Registered
858 Posts
When I'm jigging I wear Simms fleece fingerless with the flip over mits

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
Well I hate to say this but......if you condition your hands well before the weather gets cold.....you could get by without using gloves when ice fishing......You may need gloves traveling to and from....but even in the open with your back to the wind just keep your hands inside your sleeves....and pop them out when required......conditioning requires doing outside chores without gloves as very much as possible..dipping your hands in ice water and rubbing together...just don't get to a point where your exposure is too prolonged.........good fishing........a wool pair of gloves be good...and those dark brown cotton work gloves work good too...:)

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
snaggs said:
Well I hate to say this but......if you condition your hands well before the weather gets cold.....you could get by without using gloves when ice fishing......You may need gloves traveling to and from....but even in the open with your back to the wind just keep your hands inside your sleeves....and pop them out when required......conditioning requires doing outside chores without gloves as very much as possible..dipping your hands in ice water and rubbing together...just don't get to a point where your exposure is too prolonged.........good fishing........a wool pair of gloves be good...and those dark brown cotton work gloves work good too...:)

:yeahthat: I work outside for my living so hands get used to it....while walking out or riding I wear a pair of either wool gloves or Brown jersies.....once out there bare hands unless really cold...then the gloves go back on! When riding the 4-wheeler though...need the mittens to keep hands from freezing...I have a pair of the HT's...they are excellent!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I absolutely hate wearing gloves while fishing but I do have a couple pair of them that I bring with me to use. The pair that I have been using for the past couple years are a pair of those glommits. I found a pair that were not bulkey(don't get in the way at all) and have 40 grams of thinsulate. Not a lot but it still keeps my hands really warm. Two weeks ago i was in bass pro shops and bought a pair of neoprene gloves. Have only used them once but i really like them. The are tight fitting so they don't get in the way and have slits cut in the index finger and thumb to grab small teardrops, spikes, etc. My preference would be not to wear gloves at all but sometimes they can come in handy.

·
Registered
20,128 Posts
snaggs said:
Exactly.

The only time I put on gloves is if I'm carrying the auger or spud and most times, not even then. Here's the problem with gloves/mittens,,90 % of the time you're ice fishing, your hands are wet. Once your hands get wet, good luck gettin' those gloves back on. On top of that, you're constantly re-baiting,, gloves on, gloves off, gloves on, gloves off:rolleyes: it gets old, real quick. My hands are either in my pockets or I just find a "fold" in my coat and stuff my hands in there. My hands don't really get cold anyway. The ironic part of this is,,, I always have 2 PAIRS of gloves with me.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
William H Bonney said:
Exactly.

The only time I put on gloves is if I'm carrying the auger or spud and most times, not even then. Here's the problem with gloves/mittens,,90 % of the time you're ice fishing, your hands are wet. Once your hands get wet, good luck gettin' those gloves back on. On top of that, you're constantly re-baiting,, gloves on, gloves off, gloves on, gloves off:rolleyes: it gets old, real quick. My hands are either in my pockets or I just find a "fold" in my coat and stuff my hands in there. My hands don't really get cold anyway. The ironic part of this is,,, I always have 2 PAIRS of gloves with me.
This is exactly what I do even down to the 2 pair of gloves that I
seldom wear. LOL!
Ain't nothing like cutting a teardrop out of your glove for the umpteeth time.:xzicon_sm
Now, my hand auger and my spud,I have tape wrap on them so they're
usually warm enough to carry without gloves.

Mike

·
Registered
133 Posts
Jokatherm gloves!!!!!!! I think those are the igloo gloves you guy are talking about. I had a pair for years (mittes) I dont leave home without them! They usually carry them at GM.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use the ht gloves , get them big enough so you can slip them on and off easily during fishing. Another thing i do is keep part of a old towel on my lap so my hands can be kept dry, that goes a long way twards keeping them warm.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I like to put those little hand heat packs in my coat pockets and alternate hands for jigging. But if your catching fish you forget all about the cold.:)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
just plain ragg wool fingerless gloves or if really cold plain ragg wool mittens......the ones without the thinsulate.......just wool

Ive gotten the mittens soaked to the point they pretty much frozen.....hands were toasty inside.....wool is the bomb!!

I suffered from bucket butt for years but since Ive evolved in to a frabil ultra light shanty and a heater.....the gloves or mittens are typically for the way in or out

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with guys with no gloves do not like them. Work in water all winter longbut do have rabbit skin and brown gloves while travling on and off ice.:) :) :) :chillin:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Glacier gloves. They are neoprene and the thumb and first two fingers roll back and cling to a little piece of velcro and stay out of the way. Then when you are just jigging you can put the fingers back down. Give your hands lots of dexterity.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts