Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not being a seasoned ice angler, I would like to find out what the bait of choice is for ice fishing.

What should I go buy and have ready to use for my first Michigan ice fishing trip?

------------------
My life is good . . .
Fishing helps make it that way

Max
Waterford MI

·
Registered
26 Posts
Max, What species will you be targeting? That could make a big difference in what you take. If your going for panfish, I would make sure that I took a good assortment of tear drops in various colors and sizes. Glow in the dark, purple,Chartruese,and orange have been good producers for me. At least two types of baits waxworms, minnows, mousies,spikes Just in case the fish are finicky that day. Take at least two rods with you (in case of accidents) Stepping on one, or I have had one taken down the hole while fishing Crappies with two rods. Pulling a fish out of one hole just in time to see my other pole starting to go down the hole. Wasn't quick enough and it was gone. And use the lightest line you can see to tie your rigs on.LOL!! I'm getting to the point that I need my glasses for such stuff. Hope this has helped answer part of your
questions.

------------------
Stay on top. DAVE

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boy Dave do I know what you mean about the line you can see. After 50 everything seems to start going down hill.

Thanks for the reply, I have no idea what I will be fishing for. I will be trying Loon Lake in Waterford and it will be my first ice fishing trip, since the early 60's on Lake erie.

I have no idea where to start, so I hope I see some shanties or others to get an idea of where to go.

If I do good, I'll be sure to post it here.

------------------
My life is good . . .
Fishing helps make it that way

Max
Waterford MI

1 - 3 of 3 Posts