Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's the ice gonna be for this weekend? Heard there is a good 6-7" on most lakes down there but wondering how it's gonna be looking after a couple days of warm temps and if it'll be worth going down Saturday morning to fish.

· Registered
7,079 Posts
shore ice should be the first to go. so if you can get on, you should be good.
that said, every year, when your heel starts popping thru as you walk, the ice is softening up from within & going bad. Then you need to be carefull. I went thru about 10 yrs ago after fishing for an hr with another 20 guy on the lake. I was able to roll out myself before anyone saw me. It made now noise, so nobody seen me till I started swearing while on my wet knees

· Registered
689 Posts
I been out all week, once on duck and saw guys on East Bay of eagle. Don't fish Swan in the winter. To crowded and too many other great lakes in the area. The wind will probably be the only issue you'll have Saturday. Good luck.

· Registered
1,583 Posts
Started out around noon yesterday to see what the lakes had to offer. 1st lake I went to I was met my a women in the parking lot asking me to call 911 there was a man in the water. He made it out after a 5 minute struggle. At that point I decided to move on to a safer lake. Second lake was being fished but the guys were skirting the edges where the ice was white. Skipped that lake as well. Third stop was un fishable. Stop four found good ice just had to avoid the dark spots. Hammered dinks for 2 hours and decided to move on. Stop 5 and 6 were un fishable as well. Stop 7 was the best ice I found. Very solid 4 inches. Fished this one for a few hours and managed 6 keeper crappie to go with the one gill I picked up earlier.

All in all good day, pretty warm, not to windy but a bit nerve racking dealing with the deteriorating ice.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.