Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, want to paint my boat , its an aluminum , 16 ft, old yellow mirrorcraft. Would like to go with a light grey. Dont know where to start??? Sand it? What kind of paint?? How long to cure?? Any tips?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
775 Posts
my buddy painted over his crestliner with a 2:1 ratio of flat white and flat black rustoleum. i think he just wired brushed off loose crap and painted. its been 2 years of hunting and lack of caring and its still pretty nice.

just a thought

·
Registered
353 Posts
It all comes down to what type of finish you want on it, a show class one or utility one and if it is going to spend more time in the water or on a trailer.

On my 14' MirroCraft, it is small enough that I tipped it over on some extended saw horses, power washed it once, took a heavy duty nylon scrubbing pad and went over the hull and power washed it again. Dropped the stern off the sawhorse to let the water drain out of any crevices and let it set for a day in the sun. I had some battle ship gray enamel paint and used a roller on the larger sections because I wanted a thicker coat. 6 years and still looks better than the rough red coat it had on it previously. It is not a shiny show class finish but the semi gloss on it now serves the purpose fine for me.

When I was looking for non-marine type paint, a lot of them said on the label not for constant water contact and since it was riding the trailer more than in the water, I figured that it would hold up well enough of which it has.

BB

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
It all comes down to what type of finish you want on it, a show class one or utility one and if it is going to spend more time in the water or on a trailer.

On my 14' MirroCraft, it is small enough that I tipped it over on some extended saw horses, power washed it once, took a heavy duty nylon scrubbing pad and went over the hull and power washed it again. Dropped the stern off the sawhorse to let the water drain out of any crevices and let it set for a day in the sun. I had some battle ship gray enamel paint and used a roller on the larger sections because I wanted a thicker coat. 6 years and still looks better than the rough red coat it had on it previously. It is not a shiny show class finish but the semi gloss on it now serves the purpose fine for me.

When I was looking for non-marine type paint, a lot of them said on the label not for constant water contact and since it was riding the trailer more than in the water, I figured that it would hold up well enough of which it has.

BB
I once had a 14' Mirrocraft in probably that same bright yellow color. Fine for fishing, but I wanted the boat for duck hunting. So I did basically what Busterboy advised, only I used a powerwasher to get all the loose grime and dirt off. Then I let it dry like he said. I got a gallon of flat marsh grass paint from Gander Mt. (I believe Hunter Specialties is the label), put it in a wagner power painter, and it worked fantastic! But as Busterboy said...not show quality finish. But very nice none the less.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Paint it black and put a big white stripe down the middle. You'll have a built in excuse if you don't catch a fish and no one else will have a boat like yours. Maybe name her "Stinky"!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts